Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with Tax Return - business travel

(4 Posts)
WhatWillSantaBring Wed 05-Nov-14 14:04:40

Hoping someone can help with one section on a tax return so that I don't break the law by giving duff information.

For the business travel expenses, I got reimbursed by my employer a mileage rate that was less than the approved mileage rate and reimbursed in full for all other accommodation etc costs.

Does that mean I can only include the difference in mileage rate as an allowable business expense?

Also, can I include the difference in mileage rates for previous years on this tax return? (I have been claiming mileage at less than the approved rate for 5 years, but this is the first year I've done a tax return).

I have another question about the Child Benefit charge too, but will keep persevering online to find the answer!

Thank you in advance

LittleBearPad Wed 05-Nov-14 14:09:06

Yes. You can't include expenses you've been reimbursed for

WhatWillSantaBring Thu 06-Nov-14 16:18:56

Thanks LittleBear - that makes sense!

Can I include previous years mileage claims (the difference anyway) or do I need to do that separately?

Chasingsquirrels Fri 07-Nov-14 09:19:25

You can claim tax relief on the difference between the HMRC approved mileage rate (13/14 : 45p a mile for the first 20,000 miles, then 25p per mile) and the rate you receive.

You can't claim for previous years on this year's return, but you could make a claim in respect of some of those years (not all as I think you would be out of time, but check with HMRC).

Details, and how to claim including if you don't do a tax return (ie previous years) www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/overview and subsequent pages.

What is your child benefit question?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now