Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SMP payment questions help from DWP???

(7 Posts)
rach270587 Tue 04-Nov-14 16:37:46

I am due to get my first payment of SMP from work this week, its a lump some of around 700 pounds, i am then due to receive nothing for a further six weeks. My partner doesn't work but is searching for work.
Will they job centre be able to help me out during the weeks i receive nothing or will they expect this payment to last? I already qualify for housing benefits i am just wanting to know how they expect me to manage within the 6 weeks that i don't receive any SMP from work.
I don't qualify for the maternity grant so obviously i want to use this lump sum to help get some essentials for my baby, as my wages weren't great before i left work so i couldn't get much whilst working.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Nov-14 18:54:39

why are you getting nothing for 6 weeks?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Nov-14 18:57:13

have you applied for tax credits?

rach270587 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:05:09

i wont be getting anything for 6 weeks as im getting the first 6 weeks payment of my maternity as a lump sum this thursday, then i wont recieve another payment until dec 18th.
i had really unstable hours at work so never qualified for working tax credits as i never worked 30 hours a week just 28 maximum so it meant me and my partner didnt qualify for anything other than the housing benefit and council tax reduction.
so it just leaves me a little worried as to how we are going to get by if/when my money runs out

rach270587 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:08:18

i must add im not due until 8/1/2015 so i dont qualify for child tax credits just yet

carrielou2007 Wed 05-Nov-14 12:14:49

SMP is 90% of your wages for the first 6 weeks (if your employer dies not 'top up' at all) then £130something though raced each week. So is your £700 the 90%?

rach270587 Wed 05-Nov-14 13:45:44

yes i do state that and everything else in my first post
i know what i am due to receive
the lump sum is due tomorrow (£700) then no further payments until dec 18th, so there is a big gap where i wont receive any money.
the question is whether or not the job centre will help me and my partner (who is searching for work and was on an income based claim before i went onto maternity leave) or will the job centre see it as i should make the £700 last .
im only wondering as im not able to apply for the maternity grant and was wanting to use the money i am due tomorrow to buy the main baby essentials i have left to get
hope i make sense :s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now