Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

repayment of income support

(2 Posts)
StarvingBookworm Tue 04-Nov-14 14:25:30

I placed my first claim for IS in June, as a newly single parent of an under-5. Since 2010 I have worked one day a week in a clerical post (minus 11m maternity leave). I sent payslips etc in with my claim, awarded around £75/week.

A month or.so ago I had a letter saying they'd reviewed and I was due £25/week "this is due to you providing incorrect information", that I hadn't told them I earned £60-something a week. I rang them, the woman I spoke to told me she couldn't see why they would say that as they'd had all my payslips from the start.

I received a letter today telling me I need to repay over £500, plus a "civic penalty" of £50 because I gave them the wrong info.

I've just spoken to.someone very unhelpful, she just kept repeating that I need to take in payslips for last 4 months to the jobcentre, that I would need to be reassessed etc.

I just don't understand, I gave them all the information they wanted at the start, I have worked my one day only, I don't understand why I am being treated like I've done something wrong when they have clearly miscalculated from the start.

What do I do? I can't afford to pay this back, I if they take my IS I lose my council tax benefit too. I can't stop crying. I can't even do anything about it for a week as my payslips are online, I don't have a computer or.printer so can't print them until next week.

Turquoisetamborine Tue 04-Nov-14 16:18:56

The lone parent disregard of earnings is £20pw so anything over and above this would be deducted. Did you earn the same every week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now