Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

mortgage checks for foreigners?

(2 Posts)
Chachah Tue 04-Nov-14 14:12:18

DH and I are both foreigners, but long-term residents with permanent jobs and good UK credit ratings.

I was wondering if the fact that we're not British will affect our mortgage offers at all? I'm EU, but DH is not.

Also, DH still has quite a bit of student debt from the US, will this show up in the bank's checks? The debt doesn't affect us in practice because his family agreed to take care of the repayments, but I'm still afraid it'd be a red flag.

Thank you :-)

Lweji Tue 04-Nov-14 22:25:48

In my experience being a foreigner is not a problem, just as long as you have a UK residence and job.

I don't know about the US debt, but for a fee you can check your credit ratings.

Go to a few banks and ask about it. They should be able to tell you how much they are prepared to lend you and at what interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now