Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

money/legal advice

(3 Posts)
artiface Tue 04-Nov-14 13:56:31

I could really do with some advice. Please resist criticising as its been a fraught situation and ongoing for some time.
My mother lent my ex-husband a large amount of money. He needed it in a hurry over Christmas and we couldn’t get a solicitor at such short notice so we drew up a contract ourselves. The contract stated that he would sell a property he owned in a former Soviet country (where his second wife hails from) to pay her back. I think the contract is pretty watertight, but its not secured as she didn’t want to ‘unhome’ him from the property abroad. Long story short, he paid some of the money back but has not contacted her or me in some time. He also owes maintanance for our son.
I don’t know who to go to. I’d like my mum to avoid the worry and expense of a lawyer if possible and the legal aid forms upset her as she is elderly.
I approached the CSA long ago who basically said we should sort it out between ourselves, but from the court order I had he owes my son thousands of pounds too and I can’t afford a court case either. He went from a well paid job to nothing, but has an overseas property.
Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I just don’t know where to go.
Thank you.

Cindy34 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:15:28

For the loan, are you talking thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?

MoneyClaimOnline - the small claims court could deal with up to £100,000 Gov.uk then search for Money Claim.
Problem though, once a ruling is in place, what if he still does not pay? Does he have any assets that could be ceased by bailiffs? Would your mother want to take things that far?

artiface Mon 10-Nov-14 20:55:40

Thank you VERY much - I had not heard of this service and it sounds very appropriate. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now