Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Benefit taking the bloody piss now

(15 Posts)
AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 03-Nov-14 13:52:05

I can't even speak to a human on the phone because, according to the super helpful DWP automated system, a full 12 weeks haven't passed since I put in a claim for my second DS, born in August. I haven't even had his birth certificate posted back yet.

I appreciate that it was made clear that the CHB claim could take up to 12 weeks, but it's also holding back our tax credit claim because my new DS doesn't 'exist' on their system until we start receiving CHB for him.

I don't even know if they RECEIVED the application, because I can't get through to an actual person. I'm having visions of the CHB people telling me that they didn't even get the form. Has anyone else experienced this massive waiting period recently?

madsadbad Mon 03-Nov-14 17:50:34

Have you tried calling and not pressing any buttons at all when it asks? Sometimes that puts you through to a human.

AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 03-Nov-14 17:54:27

I did think about trying that, or deliberately entering an earlier date when it asks for the date you made the claim. It's worth a go!

annielostit Mon 03-Nov-14 18:02:21

When they ask to press buttons, try picking one like changing bank details etc. That usually works as you need an operator.

madsadbad Mon 03-Nov-14 18:05:29

Good luck!

OutThereLil Mon 03-Nov-14 18:14:20

I tried the button pressing tax credits. It pointless. Once they find you haven't waited the required time (12 weeks in your case) they refuse to speak to you and just keep repeating themselves till you give up and slam the phone down in frustration.

AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 03-Nov-14 18:22:58

OutThereLil TELL ME ABOUT IT. It's beyond a joke. And that's after you've been kept on hold - strangely, always for 34 minutes - at 10p per minute. DP and I are at the end of our ropes with it - I know it's 'free' money, so I'm wary of behaving like I'm entitled, but they know they have us over a barrel.

My eldest DS is 3, and his CHB was sorted in 2 weeks. Even the lady I spoke to at the tax credits office was gobsmacked by the massive delay.

Rockchick1984 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:44:18

If you're already claiming tax credits, you don't have to wait for child benefit to come through in order to add your new baby onto your tax credits smile

Nerf Mon 03-Nov-14 23:05:00

I tried to talk to them recently and got nowhere - just automated options. I wanted to restart out claim (HR tax at times) which has stopped, then started, then stopped and I wanted to start it and explain why - all this in a year! No luck and then to add body insult they wanted my NI number at the end for security. I hung up instead.

ihategeorgeosborne Tue 04-Nov-14 10:47:21

Maybe you should write to them. Put it all in writing and address to someone very senior. If you get no luck, try contacting your MP, as it sounds like you've been waiting far too long already. They are a nightmare to get through to on the phone. I agree Nerf, with the HRT thing being a pain in the arse, which is why we still claim it and pay it back through HMRC, as if our circumstances change, I can't be doing with dealing with them and trying to get it re-instated. I had to phone them the other day to find out how much CB we had received in previous tax year as dh needed to know for tax and it took me well over 45 mins to speak to someone.

AnotherGirlsParadise Thu 06-Nov-14 14:12:16

Okay, so I was able to speak to somebody today as the full 12 weeks since applying had passed. Their response? They didn't receive my application. THREE FUCKING MONTHS to find out they didn't even get the forms in the post! So now I've had to send DS's full birth certificate off (which I'm twitchy about), with a whole new set of forms, by registered post.

The woman I spoke to pissed me off more than anything. You could hear the 'it's not my problem, love' shrug in her voice.

Rockchick1984, it had to be a new TC claim as my DP moved in with me shortly after DS2's birth, hence all this fucknuggetry. I'm honestly so stressed and frustrated I could cry. We're not entitled to much as a family, but the small amount we ARE entitled to would pay for formula and nappies each week. It'd relieve a lot of financial pressure. The worst thing is that I had to wait 12 weeks to even speak to a human, just to find out they 'haven't received' the forms! I'm just wondering how many more applications are 'lost' every week...

Viviennemary Fri 07-Nov-14 20:55:34

I'd be reluctant to send an original certificate to them. There used to be a system where you could have original certificates faxed if you took them into a local job centre. But that was a few years ago. Not sure if you can still do this. If you're annoyed contact your MP. They hate that!

RabbitSaysWoof Fri 07-Nov-14 21:01:51

God what a long winded pitta. I hope they can backdate for you.

gamerchick Fri 07-Nov-14 21:02:23

Well you can get another birth certificate if you need too. They aren't cheap but available.

They will backdate it won't they?

SoonToBeSix Fri 07-Nov-14 21:03:36

Surely you sent the form recorded delivery in the first place. Can't you then insist they rush it through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now