Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

money payed in wrong account

(10 Posts)
ilovesprouts Sat 01-Nov-14 10:30:18

I lent a friend some money I gave him my account number ect but the money has gone into someones elses account can he get it back or have I lost it ? he dint write the right numbers down so some one has got my money help.angry

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 01-Nov-14 12:39:24

Getting the account number wrong is quite a big problem for people and banks have been slow to respond. Your friend should contact the bank where he deposited the money a.s.a.p.. If he did it online he should contact the help desk. Without wishing to be too cynical or accuse your friend of anything dodgy, you are 100% sure he made the payment?

WeAllHaveWings Sat 01-Nov-14 15:52:51

If your friend has written down the wrong numbers you haven't lost the money, he has. He still owes it to you and shouldn't even question this!

he should contact his bank immediately for advice on getting it back, but it might take some time - some advice here

vickibee Sat 01-Nov-14 17:07:32

It may be that the account doesn't exist in which case the money is returned. Back in about seven days. If it is a valid account it relies on the goodwill of the recipient to rerun it.

WeAreEternal Sat 01-Nov-14 17:20:38

I have been in your position, as awful and uncomfortable as it was I had to point out to my friend that it was her mistake and that she still owed me the money.
it was a lot of money so not something I would have been able to write off, if it had been under £100 I think I would have just let it go, or suggested we split the mistake and she just pay me back half. But it was ££££ so I wasn't comfortable doing that.

I still feel guilty about it, I let her pay me back in parts but she was still down a lot of money.
The bank said there was nothing they could do other than write to the person who did receive the money and ask them to return it, they declined.

I think some banks can reverse it, but it's not common.

Hoppinggreen Sun 02-Nov-14 18:55:26

Even if you believe your friends " story" he still owes you the money.

AnnoyingOrange Sun 02-Nov-14 19:00:10

Some info here

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2014/04/sent-money-to-the-wrong-bank-account-youll-soon-get-more-help-getting-it-back

AnnoyingOrange Sun 02-Nov-14 19:02:01

More here

www.money.co.uk/article/1005023-can-you-keep-money-accidentally-paid-into-your-bank-account.htm

ilovesprouts Sun 02-Nov-14 19:18:48

it was only 60 pounds and yeah ive lent it before with no probs getting it back.hes going to the bank Monday.

gamerchick Sun 02-Nov-14 19:20:10

Don't worry we've had this. The account didn't exist so the money was just floating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now