Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Keeping track of finances on an iphone?

(12 Posts)
Jemster Sat 01-Nov-14 10:01:46

I have an excel spreadsheet with all our direct debits listed and use this to create a monthly budget. Our laptop has just broken and not sure if we will fix it so I'm looking to do something similar on the ipad and/or iphone.

Does anyone do this? Can you get spreadsheets on these devices?

I wasn't sure where to post so have posted in credit crunch too.

mameulah Sat 01-Nov-14 10:12:35

Bumping, this interests me too.

I have attempted the same kind of thing on various apps but haven't found a really good one yet.

TalkinPeace Sat 01-Nov-14 17:01:41

the ipad will be able to open googledocs : my debt spreadsheets seem to work on people's ipads
otherwise something like YNAB may be worth using

roughtyping Sun 02-Nov-14 16:58:13

This is very basic but I just use the notepad blush keep a list of income for me & DH, money to joint account, and money out of our own accounts and joint account.

msdolittle Sun 02-Nov-14 18:15:07

I vote ynab

tintingirl Mon 03-Nov-14 01:07:58

YNAB all the way. Could not be without it.

emsiewill Mon 03-Nov-14 11:01:37

Another vote for YNAB as well - can be used across various devices, so "on the go" on an iPhone, but also in more detail on a laptop / PC (this is how I use it anyway). here is the website.

Nativity3 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:54:01

I just downloaded the YNAB app and it said I need to sync my budget info etc.... I don't have any!! It said I need to access the file via Dropbox or wifi... Can I use the app or is it only for people with proper budgets?

emsiewill Mon 03-Nov-14 19:31:10

I think I did PC first & then iPhone. But I don't use the budgeting part tbh, I just input my transactions & reconcile with the bank. I then put in the future transactions I know about (like food shopping, petrol, things that are not paid by direct debit, which I enter as recurring transactions - on the PC version). That then shows me what I will have left at the end of the month.

I hope that makes sense, reading what I've written, perhaps it does work better in tandem with the PC version as well.

emsiewill Mon 03-Nov-14 19:32:41

If you want to keep using a spreadheet though, you could use Google sheets. They are online & almost as good as Excel. Just need a google account.

Velo Tue 04-Nov-14 06:10:10

Another vote for YNAB. It's brilliant and it's the only system that DH and I have tried that has ever worked.

Jemster Tue 04-Nov-14 07:14:32

I found the same as Nativity. Trying to set up the free trial & it said I had to do it on pc but ours is broken. What does it mean when it says about syncing to budgets?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now