Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

accepted deposit but buyer dissapeared

(3 Posts)
therenter Fri 31-Oct-14 14:22:52

Can anyone advise us please? My dad advertised something for sale on gum tree. A buyer contacted him paid the 100 deposit in cash on a thursday and then said he would ring the following Monday (just gone) to pay the remainder and collect the item.The guy still hasn't been in contact up to today.
My dad didn't take his contact details so has no way of getting in contact with him.
How long should he leave it before he re advertises the item? And is he legally obliged to return the deposit if the gentlemen eventually does contact him?
Thanx

Floundering Fri 31-Oct-14 21:08:09

I would think he could re-advertise, but keep the deposit for a month & return if contacted but sell the item to someone else who can pay & collect it.

However I am not a legal person so I watch with interest to see what advice you get! grin

iwantavuvezela Fri 31-Oct-14 21:10:36

What percentage is the £100 of the total? If a fair bit I would wait to see if something had happened, might have had a family emergency, lost mobile. It would be hard to sell it to someone else if he/she had paid a fair deposit.
Might also be waiting for pay day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now