Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Drydens, CCJ for old student loan, credit score

(3 Posts)
ShortandSweeter Thu 30-Oct-14 12:23:48

Hi all- thanks for looking...can someone help with this?

I had a student loan back around 1996 (it was, I believe, the old 'mortgage' type). To cut a long story short, I had some severe personal difficulties involving mental illness and never paid it back. There was a CCJ against me on the defaulted loan which has since dropped off my credit history as it was from a long time ago (longer than 6 years). Fast forward until the present day.....

An old address has recently received some letters and phone calls from a Drydensfairfax solicitors wanting to contact me- I THINK it must be about this (after stumbling across a few threads similar to my story on various forums) and I am not aware of any other debts.

I am looking to purchase a house quite soon with my husband- my credit history is currently 'good' and we have a pre-approved mortgage- . My questions are:

Can I engage with Drydens and get a sense of what it is they want without it having an adverse effect on my credit score?

I think I want to pay it off- would doing this affect my credit score/bring it 'live'?

Can a CCJ get 'resurrected' and show up on my credit rating?

Or should I just ignore until my mortgage has gone through? and then pay?

Any insight would be gratefully received! Thanks for reading.

x

ShortandSweeter Mon 03-Nov-14 13:54:36

No one had any experience related to this?

Selks Mon 03-Nov-14 13:59:33

Well I would be tempted to 'play ostrich' until I'd got the mortgage (as long as I was confident that I could pay both the mortgage and student loan).
But that's just me, and it's probably terrible advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now