Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

free new boiler

(5 Posts)
Muddle2000 Sun 19-Oct-14 17:46:13

I got a call actually 2 calls from a company offering free boilers grants.Anyone know about this

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Oct-14 17:58:56

I get this about 6 times a day. We do need a new boiler, so I looked into it. You don't actually own the boiler, you rent it. It was about £40/month for 10 years (might have been 15) and at then end you either buy it outright with a balloon payment or - i can't remember - maybe carry on renting?

It's meant to feel free because the new boiler is super duper efficient and is meant to bring your heating bill down by £40/month. How they know my tarriff is beyond me!

If you sell your house, the rental agreement can transfer to the new owner or you buy outright.

See here
Money saving expert discussion

We deceided against it. Seems a bit weird to own a house and not the boiler!

We got a quote from British Gas - £4K!!! and one from a Worcester Bosch approved engineer for a slightly bigger boiler - £1.7!!!!

Chelseap1 Wed 14-Jan-15 14:34:23

Are you referring to the affordable warmth scheme? Free boilers are available for people on low income or benefits. There is a criteria so might be worth looking at this - it's an online form that will tell you whether your eligible.

www.0800repairgas.co.uk/affordable-warmth.php

FantasticMrsFoxx Wed 14-Jan-15 15:40:41

Be careful the scheme doesn't make you install energy efficient measures / loft insulation / cavity wall etc as a condition of providing the free boiler. Not worth the hassle IMO. Different if you are eligible for the warm homes scheme though.

TalkinPeace Wed 14-Jan-15 17:34:22

There is no free lunch
EVER

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: