Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What proportion of you income do you spend on holidays?

(32 Posts)
Doraemon Wed 15-Oct-14 19:08:53

We are having our annual lengthy debate about next year's holidays. Leaving aside all the issues around how much fun a holiday can be with a toddler and two older children one of whom has ASD, I am struggling to define how much is a reasonable amount of money to spent. We are, relative to a lot of people, not badly off, but don't have much if anything left at the end of this month. Even staying in the UK this year we spent the best part of a month's income on one rainy week in a mobile home - everything seems to ridiculously expensive, especially when we factor in that the toddler will be 2 and have to have her own seat if we fly anywhere.
I don't want to know specifically how much you consider normal as I know there is a huge income range on here but I would be interested to know how much you would consider reasonable as a proportion of your family's income.

irregularegular Wed 15-Oct-14 19:14:30

It varies quite a lot from year to year - some years we have more or 'bigger' holidays than others, but these days (post child care!) it is often our single biggest expenditure after the mortgage - vying with our weekly groceries. Ballpark 5-9% of net income, maybe??? For 2-3 holidays?

chocoshopoholic Wed 15-Oct-14 19:15:54

We are currently saving as TTC. Our holiday tends to be Greece, Turkey, Etc. we spend roughly half of a months combined salary on a week away. Would like it to be less, but stuck with school holidays because of work. Tend to book last minute as with just the two of us we're flexible on location and facilities.

NewJobNewLife Wed 15-Oct-14 19:17:29

Somewhere between 2% and 3% depending on the year.

ilovemydoggy Wed 15-Oct-14 19:18:13

For our main holiday it's about 1 months salary from both of us. We then normally have smaller long weekends which is about 1 persons monthly salary.

NewJobNewLife Wed 15-Oct-14 19:18:27

2% to 3% of net income, sorry.

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Oct-14 19:20:17

2% of our annual income on one weeks holiday in the UK, during the summer holidays.

We do spend most of the time on the beach though..if we had bad weather, it could get much more expensive!

I suspect this isn't normal, and guess other people spend more like 5% of their annual income.

Ragwort Wed 15-Oct-14 19:21:57

I find spending money on holidays a bit difficult grin - for years we swapped homes with my parents who lived in a lovely holiday destination - where the equivalent standard of holiday home would have been in the region of £2.5k per week shock. (They have now moved to be nearer to us in their old age !) So I find it horrendous to have to fork out that sort of sum of money - especially when I compare it to the hours we would have to work to afford it !

Also agree that holidays with children (we now have a teenager) - can be challenging ......... not really answering your question but this year we didn't have a 'big' summer holiday and I didn't miss it at all.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 15-Oct-14 19:22:17

We spend about a month's income, sometimes more.

When our income was lower though, we spent much less than a month's income because there was less spare overall IYSWIM?

To put it in some kind of perspective, we save the equivalent amount that we allocate to holidays into a separate account to cover ongoing house repairs/maintenance. The holiday budget would get cut first if we had to cut back.

joanofarchitrave Wed 15-Oct-14 19:28:00

Hm. We put approx 5% of our total monthly income into an account called 'Holiday' but this has to pay for fuel for family visits, days out and playschemes/activity weeks in the school holidays. TBH ever since ds came along there has been some form of grandparental payment towards our actual holidays blush - at the moment dh's parents rent a cottage/s for us and our BIL/SIL families for a week every year - not cheap. We've just started to be able to fund an actual week's family holiday camping as well.

Notmadeofrib Wed 15-Oct-14 19:49:38

About 15% but it's the reason I work.

indyandlara Wed 15-Oct-14 22:03:15

Next summer it's over 20% but it's a very special one. Usually about 1 month's combined salary, including spending money.

Sconeswithjamandcream Thu 16-Oct-14 15:16:01

We are really into our holidays and spend about 15% of our income (very high earners) on them. We have two proper holidays a year, DH goes skiing, we have one or two mini breaks in the U.k and one of the DC usually goes on a school trip. I do a lot of research, study reviews, never book anywhere if it's rainy season or more than a slight possibility of much rain, never book night flights, I like to eat outdoors and won't go to the same place twice.
Your post reminded me of an expensive holiday years ago in Cornwall. The weather was okish but we spent so much on days out and meals out eating English food. I just didn't feel it was value for money. The following year we booked an apartment in Ibiza on Travel Republic and it was only slightly more than our Haven caravan. We didn't sled much during the day as beach with perhaps hiring a pedalo, or exploring a new town and looking at all the views kept us happy. We did eat out a lot but obviously this was optional.

foxdongle Thu 16-Oct-14 16:13:48

It varies each year, but something like;
a big holiday e.g. Long Haul or cruise,
then a cheapy Med one,
possibly a European city break,
a couple of uk breaks and dc school trips etc .
Holidays are a bit of a priority for us after all bills and savings.
Dh's bonus pays for at least one and we have a holiday account which we put money away in each month.
Definitely less than 1 months joint salary.

dinkystinky Thu 16-Oct-14 16:20:48

up to 10%

VirtualPointyHat Thu 16-Oct-14 16:44:00

Around 4%, this year was more like 12% but it was our honeymoon

Babiecakes11 Thu 16-Oct-14 17:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirNoel Thu 16-Oct-14 18:08:12

About 4% and I'm not even going to admit how long it took me to work that out blush

stayglossy Sat 18-Oct-14 10:05:05

About 5-15% - rarely reaches the top end, it was expensive the other year as we paid for all accommodation for extended family members. The amount is reasonable for us as our other outgoings are fairly low (one child family).

Our DD has ASD and always enjoys our family holidays, but it appears she's unusual in her interest in planes and is always keen to go on one! I don't find it stressful personally but then it's easier to tailor things around her needs when she's the only child.

ChocolateWombat Sat 18-Oct-14 19:17:05

We spend between a week and 2 weeks worth of income of the 2 of us. (I guess about 3% of annual income)
For that I would expect 2 individual weeks of holiday and a long weekend.
These are all UK based, in cottages etc, but in main school holidays.

Spindarella Sat 18-Oct-14 19:21:26

I was convinced it'd be about 15% but just worked it out and it's only 5%! How the hell goes it kill me to pay for it?

Spindarella Sat 18-Oct-14 19:22:06

Oh and that's for 11 days in Spain.

choc0clock Sat 18-Oct-14 20:55:01

Nothing. We have 2 children (1 at nursery and one with severe Asd). We have to fork out for childcare and therapy and cannot afford any kind of holiday (both DP and I work) .

Doraemon Fri 24-Oct-14 11:08:32

Realised I hadn't thanked everyone for replying..... blush
Really helpful to get a feel for what is 'normal' - the figures we had been looking at were between 5 and 10% of income so I guess that is reasonable, but as once again I spending the last week of the month shopping in Aldi and counting how many cans of baked beans are left in the cupboard I'm not sure quite where that 5 to 10% is going to appear from! Really need the children to hurry up and learn to swim properly then the ridiculous amount we are spending on swimming lessons could go on taking them to somewhere warm and sunny with a big swimming pool......

smoothieooo Fri 24-Oct-14 11:17:56

Just calculated and it will be roughly 8% of my salary (just me and 2 teenage DS). I've been putting money away since we got back from our holiday this year to try and cobble together enough for 2 weeks away, rather than 1. It was our first trip abroad with just the 3 of us and went so well I figure I can do the extra week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now