Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits after being awarded DLA for my child

(13 Posts)
miracle0812 Fri 25-Jul-14 22:32:40

Hi all,
Wondering if someone can help.. I received a letter a week ago telling me my daughter has been awarded DLA so I called tax credits to let them know.
The letter from DLA saids it's from 12th May that she's entitled.. Is the the "award date" that tax credits back date too or do they backdate it to when I got the letter/rang them?

Many Thanks

chocisonabikinidiet Sat 26-Jul-14 12:58:01

iirc, tax credits back date to the date the DLA was awarded (12 May in your case).

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 26-Jul-14 13:03:18

Be careful if you're claiming housing benefit though. They class the additional tax credits as income and can forget there's a disabled child allowance. It can sometimes make you worse off if you get the extra tax credits.

NickiFury Sat 26-Jul-14 13:08:16

That has not been my experience ladysybil. I get highest rate DLA for my ds plus the higher rate disability TC component AND full housing benefit.

miracle0812 Sat 26-Jul-14 13:10:33

Thanks for your replies.. I had a payment today of £169 from TC which would work out right if they were only backdating to when I got the letter so I'm a little confused??

We both work so don't think entitled to HB but thanks anyway. Do TC go up much after being awarded DLA we also get highest rate care but lower mobility
X

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 26-Jul-14 13:11:35

I claimed a couple of years ago and they cut mine when ds was awarded the disabled child TC bit. I also ended up paying full (75% single person) council tax, so I was worse off. I called the council to complain as it seemed very unfair, and they said it was because the extra TC was 'income' and that they 'give with one hand and take with the other' hmm

NickiFury Sat 26-Jul-14 13:19:24

Maybe it's changed now, because I don't think that's the case now, hope not anyway or I maybe in for a shock!

miracle0812 Sat 26-Jul-14 13:26:22

I think it has changed my friend gets full HB x

miracle0812 Sat 26-Jul-14 13:27:30

Anyone know why I've had the £169? Do they put a bit in and then the rest in a few days? Seems odd to go in on a Saturday too x

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 26-Jul-14 13:33:23

They paid £163.21 into my account last night too. I called to update my details on Tuesday, so I was assuming it was this although she said they would go down as I earn more this year than I did last year confused I haven't received their notice award yet.

Sometimes they do put bits in at a time. You could call and ask, if you can get through. I think mine was backdated to when I sent in the DLA form but it's been a while and I may be wrong.

miracle0812 Sat 26-Jul-14 14:53:39

How strange! Nice surprise though smile

Was tempted to call them but I hear it's a long long wait to speak to anyone :-/
X

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 26-Jul-14 15:30:10

It depends on what time you call them. I called at 08:30 on Tuesday and got through after 10 mins. It was a change of circumstances though but the lady I spoke to did the renewal too. Maybe leave it until the 1st?

Elise321 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:28:30

Im really worried I thought tax credits will backdate for dla claims but after calling a few times was told by tax credits that it only happens sometimes and theres no guarentees. I have a dla claim for my child and worried I wont get backdate even though I told them the day I found out. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now