Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Accountants please help - Dividends/Cash ISA timings question

(3 Posts)
Forago Wed 02-Apr-14 12:05:45

I haven't put any money in an ISA for this tax year 2013/14 yet. I would like to if possible. Have opened one but not put any money in yet. I am aware that I need to do it, if I am going to, by midnight this Saturday 5th April.

The reason I haven't done yet is because I haven't got any money. Until the next tax year. Because I am self-employed and don't want to take any more dividends until the next financial year because I am on the limit of no personal tax for next year if I don't take any more out.

Is it possible to satisfy both criteria? i.e if I take £5760 out of my business current account on Saturday afternoon and transfer it into my new cash isa (same provider) before midnight - will it show up on my business banking statements as being taken out on Monday 7th April i.e the new tax year, or count as a new tax year dividend if it is dated Saturday the 5th, because I did it on a Saturday, a non-working day?

Rockchick1984 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:20:22

Withdrawals can be done on non working days so it would still be classed as 2013/2014 tax year for the withdrawal and deposit, sorry. Can you take the money from another source?

The only other way I can see that you could do it is to take a personal loan that has a cooling off period. You can put the money into your ISA, then cancel in the new tax year but within the cooling off period and repay the original amount borrowed using the business account money so that you wouldn't pay any interest on the loan. Not strictly legitimate so if you did this you would have to give the lender a reason for wanting the loan!

Forago Wed 02-Apr-14 16:52:15

drat!

Thanks for the clarification

I could probably withdraw cash from my credit cards for not very much of a charge for just a couple of days, but not sure it's worth the hassle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now