Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Finally coming off benefits!

(32 Posts)
MaybesDontCount Mon 31-Mar-14 16:48:27

I've been a member for a few years but never posted, I've enjoyed reading posts as I'm shy and quite reserved. I can't tell family or friends yet but I need to tell someone! After over 8 years on benefits, my DH has gone and got a job. It took him a week to find one and be offered the position, which is good.

We've lived comfortably on benefits, not a life of luxury because we have 3 DC, but comfortably enough that we've not wanted to come off them. But we've decided because our DC are older and asking to go on holidays, we want to learn to drive and get a car and we can't stand being on benefits and singing on anymore that it's time to work :0)

Lj8893 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:50:44

Well done!

smorticus Mon 31-Mar-14 16:51:27

Congratulations and well done!!

It is a big leap coming off benefits and you both need to be proud that you've made the right choice. You will also be setting a great example to your children as they will realise that if they want holidays and luxuries that working is the best way!

SoonToBeSix Mon 31-Mar-14 16:51:37

So you want congratulations for finally stopping being lazy and scrounging of tax payers? NB I do not think the vast majority of people in receipt of benefits are scrounges.

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 31-Mar-14 16:54:57

"So you want congratulations for finally stopping being lazy and scrounging of tax payers? NB I do not think the vast majority of people in receipt of benefits are scrounges."

So why bother posting this then? biscuit

Congratulations to you, Maybes smile thanks

FloozeyLoozey Mon 31-Mar-14 16:56:15

So you and your husband are both healthy and well, your children have no disabilities, and both of you have just chosen to sit on your arses for eight years and not even attempted to find work? Shocking and shameful. I've no issue with benefits going to those who need them or helping those who actually work, but you two are just a pair of lazy fuckers. Imagine if all the workforce did what you did, the country would go bust!

MaybesDontCount Mon 31-Mar-14 17:09:10

Thank you everyone.

My middle child does have medical conditions and I am her carer. But basically, yes, we have 'scrounged' off the system for 8 years. But we're changing that and he has a 60 hour a week job, better late than never :0) We got used to being on benefits, we could survive so we didn't feel the need to come off them. Now we do, not just for the car and holidays but because I want my children to work. We don't live great, but we're gonna start to!

Can't remember who said about tax payers money but no, we haven't been living off tax payers money because we haven't been getting contribution based benefits, it was income based and apparently (according to our JC adviser) that isn't from tax payers.

I never knew ringing the landlord, council, Job Seekers, tax credits, school etc to say we're no longer receiving benefits and we'll ba paying for it all ourselves would feel so damn good! It was a scary thing to contemplate, but I am very glad we did! It was so much easier finding a job than people make out.

SoonToBeSix Mon 31-Mar-14 17:09:23

I posted it because it is because op people like the op that people " benefit bash" and she gives genuine claimants who desperately want a job a bad name .

SoonToBeSix Mon 31-Mar-14 17:10:09

Ah that made no sense I meant it is because of people like the op that people " benefit bash"

MaybesDontCount Mon 31-Mar-14 17:11:16

Oh, and to add, I'm not healthy and well. I have severe arthritis in both my hands, wrists, elbows, knees and feet and my back is shot, I have to use crutches half the time because my emergency section went very wrong, very fast. They injected my back in the wrong place and I then had to be put to sleep for it. So no, we're not both well and healthy.

SoonToBeSix Mon 31-Mar-14 17:11:45

Op your second message changes my opinion maybe don't drip feed next time.

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 31-Mar-14 17:18:55

It's a proud day for you, Maybes smile

MaybesDontCount Mon 31-Mar-14 17:22:22

SoonToBeSix, I am sorry, it is my first time posting so I thought I should of kept it nice and short. I was/am extremely excited so didn't think! I do apologize.

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 31-Mar-14 17:24:37

Well done, I wish your family all the best for your future.

Impatientismymiddlename Mon 31-Mar-14 17:28:45

I am appalled that you feel the need to spread the news that after 8 years of being happy on benefits you have finally decided that one of you should do the morally right thing and get a job.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with one of you spending the rest of your life being a Carr for the disabled child, but for both of you to have been happy on benefits for 8 years is frankly appalling.
It would have been okay if you had been trying to get work throughout that time, but you admit that you have only bothered to seek work so you can have holidays etc. rather than to be self sufficient and have some pride.

Impatientismymiddlename Mon 31-Mar-14 17:29:52

Okay, I have just seen the other posts, so I take it all back an apologise. The full story changes my opinion.
Congratulations and well done.

carben Mon 31-Mar-14 17:31:09

Income based IS taxpayers money. Contributions is paid when you paid enough NI contributions when you were working to get 6 months non means tested JSA. Where do you think the JSA IB money comes from then ?

MaybesDontCount Mon 31-Mar-14 17:38:37

Carben, I do not have a clue. I made an off hand comment to our adviser at our signing off appointment about not sponging tax payers money anymore and she said about JSA IB isn't from tax payers. I was kinda confused about it but didn't think to ask as I had to get the DC from school.

Don't worry about it Impatientismymiddlename, I'm expecting a few outraged replies until people have read my comments, my own fault really. Thank you for your well wishes.

And thank you everyone else, too!

PortofinoRevisited Mon 31-Mar-14 17:43:16

Of course Benefits are funded by tax payers! Well done for your DH getting a job, but has he really not been trying for 8 years?

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 31-Mar-14 17:46:30

I have a friend who was bullied from her job by her boss. It took years for her to find another one, partly because she lived in a small town and partly because of the effects of the bullying. It can take years.

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 31-Mar-14 17:48:45

The OP's husband tax can now go towards paying Mumsnetter's child benefits.

RedBlanket Mon 31-Mar-14 17:49:35

All benefits are funded by the government who get their money from taxpayers.

Congratulations on the job though. But seriously 8 years without feeling the need to work is taking the mick.

HermioneWeasley Mon 31-Mar-14 17:49:40

I can't believe it's an option to have 3 children with neither parent working when at least one is fit an healthy and found a job within a week. Please tell me this is a wind up?!

carben Mon 31-Mar-14 17:56:15

So did your DH spend 8 years signing on and pretending and lying about making job applications in order to get paid JSA ? And what kind of job has he managed to get in a week with an 8 year work history gap in his CV ? Just curious.

littlerain Mon 31-Mar-14 18:42:58

Congratulations to your DH for finding work smile

Some benefits might have a run-on period (to allow you to budget before the first wages) so look into this to see if you're eligible. It's probably worth visiting a CAB or your local carers organisation for a benefits check, as many benefits can be claimed by people in work - tax credits, housing and council tax benefit. Don't assume you'll lose everything at once. Also, with your child's medical issues, she may be eligible for DLA (which isn't means tested) and you could get carers allowance (which only depends on your own income, so you can still get it if your DH works). Not sure if you're already getting these, but worth looking into, as they will increase the eligible amount you can get from tax credits so it means you can still get some even if your DH is working quite long hours. You may want to look into claiming PIP for your own health issues, this is also not means-tested.

I hope you will be getting all the support you need, as it will be hard caring for your child with medical issues, with all the health issues you have, and your husband will be working long hours. You can get a carers assessment from your local council who can support you in getting respite and other help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now