Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Q about cheques

(7 Posts)
WeeClype Mon 31-Mar-14 16:05:23

I gave my DS a cheque to cover his lunch money, it went missing at school. Either it's fallen out his bag or another child has taken it.

Should I be concerned that there is a cheque lost/stolen out there since it has my account details are on it?

Thanks

annielostit Mon 31-Mar-14 17:17:53

Cancel the cheque/inform the bank. write a new one. Inform the school its lost in case it turns up and not for them to process it.

WeeClype Mon 31-Mar-14 17:38:45

I'm going to phone the school tomorrow incase it was found and handed in but I just don't like knowing there is a cheque missing with my account number and sort code on it hmm

NewJobNewLife Mon 31-Mar-14 17:43:00

Nothing can be done with just your account number and sort code. They're on cheques and cards because they're useless on their own.

It costs about £20 to cancel a cheque. If the amount is insignificant to you, then I'd risk it not being cashed (after all, only the school could cash it and they'd surely refund if you showed your bank statement to show double payment?). If it is a lot or you would worry, then peace of mind is worth the £20.

WeeClype Mon 31-Mar-14 17:45:34

Ah thanks that's what I wanted to hear! I had images of kids buying games online hmm

No it was only £20 so it won't matter if it does turn up and cashed in by the school.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 02-Apr-14 12:00:50

lost cheques are normally stopped by the bank free of charge so ring and stop it.

WeeClype Wed 02-Apr-14 12:41:40

It's ok the school phoned me to say it had been found so it just means I won't have to top up the lunch money for a while as my DS has payed in 2 cheques now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now