Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

12 months interest free credit on technology??

(11 Posts)
sinningsaint Sun 30-Mar-14 13:32:17

Looking at buying a new laptop and ipad but want to put them on 12 months interest free credit, is there anywhere i can do this??

ishesingle Sun 30-Mar-14 13:40:42

Argos do buy now pay later on most things I think, what you spend depends on how long it is interest free for. After that it's a really high interest rate though so watch out.

Or you could get a credit card which is 0% on purchases - there are a few of them around at the moment if you have a good credit record.

Or save up for them if it is a "want" and not a "need" (do you really need an iPad and a laptop?)

sinningsaint Sun 30-Mar-14 13:49:45

I've already got a credit card and don't really fancy having to manage another. The ipad is a want but the laptop is a need but it's just the ipad is for my wifes birthday and the laptop is for my daughter. My daughter is giving me 3/4 of the amount of money for the laptop which i will stick in the account the payments are being taken from and my wife will be transferring money into the account each month so it seems the best option and will definitely be payed off before interest rates soar. Thanks for the recommendation of argos though i will check it out.

emma16 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:00:17

Catalogues such as Very & Littlewoods do 'Buy now pay later' in 9 or 12 months interest free, which is good for people if they need a large item like a washer etc & don't have the disposable income.
You just have to make sure you set a reminder for a few weeks before it's due otherwise you'll be hit with a huge penalty! Oh and put the bit of money away each month!

Preciousbane Sun 30-Mar-14 19:22:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkinPeace Sun 30-Mar-14 20:06:12

if you cannot afford an item as cheap as a laptop without credit you do not need it
you just want it

wait four months and save the money up

nobody NEEDS an ipad : they are a toy

sinningsaint Sun 30-Mar-14 20:45:51

The laptop is certainly needed as my daughter who is at university has exams/deadlines coming up and cannot possibly manage without a laptop. Yes she could use the library but that would mean 2 30 minutes walks to and from uni on days she isn't in for lectures etc. As I've said the ipad is for my wifes birthday (an important one) and it would just be nice for her to have it on the day than have to wait a couple of months until i get a bonus pay out from work to cover it.

TalkinPeace Sun 30-Mar-14 21:02:09

if she needs one for Uni, how has she coped since October ?
Go to the computer shop in her university town and get a refurb high spec one for £200

do not buy presents that involve going into debt
its just not worth it

sinningsaint Sun 30-Mar-14 21:20:15

Her laptop (which was a refurb must i add) has been on it's last legs since christmas and has now completely died, aftter having lasted just 7 months we are buying new this time and as i have said she is paying for the majority. I have taken your advice on board but have thought this through and for me this is the best option hence asking where i could get such an offer, not advice on whether i should do it or not.

specialsubject Sun 30-Mar-14 21:23:09

walking an hour a day is not really a hardship for anyone able-bodied.

but there are plenty of interest-free credit cards out there. Don't buy from catalogues, how do you think they fund the credit? From high prices!!

sinningsaint Mon 31-Mar-14 07:40:26

I agree it's not a hardship, but a bit of a pain when it's an hour that could be spent studying back at her house, laptop can also be used on her 4 hour train journey home etc. Wasn't considering catalogues but will definitely look into argos i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now