Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What age did/will your parents retire and what age do you plan to?

(56 Posts)
Snog Sat 29-Mar-14 07:35:07

My dad retired at 64 and my mum at 50.
I would like to retire by 60 but 70 might be more likelyshock

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 29-Mar-14 07:45:37

My mum went part time at 50 and retired at 55. My dad was made redundant at 55 and called it quits then.

HappyCria Sat 29-Mar-14 07:52:38

Mum and Dad in their late 40's early 50's have no plans on retiring and neither do my Granny and grandad who are in their 70's.

My family just don't seem to retire out of choice confused

I am in my late 20's and the way things are going probably won't be able to retire but that certainly won't be from choice sad

Snog Sat 29-Mar-14 07:55:56

Happy what kind of work are your grandparents still able to do aged 70+?

Meglet Sat 29-Mar-14 07:58:36

Mum was 60. My stepdad will probably keep going until he's 66.

Dad was 66, he only stopped due to terminal cancer or else he'd still be happily working.

I assume I'll be around 70 (am currently 39). I have a tiddly private pension and a pension from work.

HappyCria Sat 29-Mar-14 08:15:00

Granny is a lollipop lady and grandad is a lorry driver.

My great uncle is also well into his 70's and works for a taxi company (doing very long hours)

My great aunt also worked into her late 70's but sadly died 2 years ago she worked right up until she no longer could due to her cancer sad she worked as a school cleaner she also drove the school Bus.

All of them could retire they just don't want to.

NickyNackyNooNoo Sat 29-Mar-14 08:24:10

Mum in her 60's and still working and my Dad is in his 70's and still working. No sign of either retiring grin

Parents in law both retired in their 50's and were a nightmare, nit picking with nothing to worry about.

I plan to follow my parents and work until I drop, but only in a job I enjoy wink I also plan to be active in my grandchildren's life (if we have any).

Taz1212 Sat 29-Mar-14 08:38:28

My mother retired at 70 because she was forced to by state law! She was a primary school teacher (3rd grade which is 8 year olds). She would have happily kept going for another 5 years. My father never officially retired. He just sort of stopped working so much until he wasn't working at all- he was in his early 50s.

I work very p/t and I don't know when I will stop- 60 maybe? I'm working on a plan to get DH to retire at 50.

Marrow Sat 29-Mar-14 08:46:15

My dad is 69 and doesn't plan on retiring any time soon.

ajandjjmum Sat 29-Mar-14 08:57:28

My Dad suffered at major stroke at 59 and had to retire - he had been planning to continue working for some years. Fortunately he was around for another 19 years and had a good life - although as a workaholic, he said he missed work every day.

We always expected to be able to retire at 55, but I think to retain a decent standard of living (to us), we'll need to carry on until 65. Time will tell!

nicename Sat 29-Mar-14 09:03:04

Mum didn't work. Dad closed up the business in hid mid-sixties - think but he kept working on projects until he died as he really enjoyed his work and had a very good reputation in the industry.

It seems as if retirement was simpler then. Everyone I know had folks who retired on a half decent income, had a few holidays a year, pottered around garden centres, went to the theatre, joined college lectures, bought a new car ever couple of years... Now it looks like our generation will work until we drop!

RandomMess Sat 29-Mar-14 09:07:59

My Mum didn't work much mainly part time, my dad got a golden hand shake at 53. I will be working until I'm at least 70 - both civil servants of a similar grade - how times have changed!

Cookiepants Sat 29-Mar-14 09:16:29

My parents aim to be 60 (DF) and 65 (DM). I think by the time I reach 65 they will have done away with this retirement lark altogether and we will be put down when we can no longer work hmm

HolidayCriminal Sat 29-Mar-14 09:17:40

My mom (social worker) worked until she dropped (age 63) as she often predicted she would just that, never expected to retire.

My dad (legal worker) formally retired age 65 but still sits by appointment (like a supply teacher but in his profession). He works maybe 6-7 months a year in total. Now 71 & will keep going until he's too frail, he loves his job so I hope he still has another 5-8 yrs at least.

I do office work; don't plan to retire until 75 but in my late 40s & I'm already working PT, not sure I'll ever return to FT.

merrymouse Sat 29-Mar-14 09:18:58

My grandparent's generation worked till they dropped, but they dropped earlier.

My parents are the generation who retired according to the terms of their final salary pension scheme but might live another 20 or 30 years. That wasn't in the original calculations.

I think the question now is what kind of extended good health can you reasonably expect after the age of sixty and whether there are enough jobs that will fit in with your physical capabilities.

tumbletumble Sat 29-Mar-14 09:19:36

My dad retired from full time work at 60 but carried on doing part time consultancy work until 69 (gradually doing less and less). My mum was 57 when she retired.

Not really sure what age I'm aiming to retire. I'm not working at the moment (SAHM) so will have to see how it goes when I go back to work.

HolidayCriminal Sat 29-Mar-14 09:19:57

Most of us can expect to live until at least 85yo. 20 yrs of retirement means almost 30% of adult lifespan not working. It doesn't sit right with me if I can help it.

Ragwort Sat 29-Mar-14 09:22:06

My Dad retired at 60 and mum around 57 - they have an incredibly good pension from years of working for the same very successful company. They are both in their 80s now and very much enjoying life.
I have just started a new job in my mid 50s after 15 years out of the workplace (by choice) so I don't think I will be retiring any time soon grin - nor my DH; I assume we will probably be working until at least mid 70s.

Snog Sat 29-Mar-14 09:28:36

There are a fair few jobs I would struggle with physically at my age (mid 40's) already so I am a bit concerned about the next 30 years or so of work to come, especially as it is generally so much harder to get jobs past age 40.
I'm also wondering if people hanging on in their jobs for longer will mean fewer jobs available for the young?

ajandjjmum Sat 29-Mar-14 09:29:09

I think they should introduce gap years for people in their 50s - I'd love one!

tallulah Sat 29-Mar-14 09:31:28

My dad was forced to retire at 60. Just as well as he was dead 2 years later.

Mum carried on working until her office closed when she was in her late 60s. Didn't think it was worth transferring to another office and having a longer commute at that age.

Could probably do my job into my 70s but there are a number of jobs where you are physically incapable of keeping up as you get older. My DH has been doing the same job since he was 29. Now he is 52 he really can't keep up and it's making him ill.

Snog Sat 29-Mar-14 09:42:32

Maybe we should advise young people to take up a career that you can still do at 70...

Grennie Sat 29-Mar-14 09:45:59

Mum 60, dad 65. I would love to retire at that age, but will probably be in my 70's. I have illl health and people with my illness live on average until 71. So I may never retire.

sleepyhead Sat 29-Mar-14 09:50:58

Dad retired at 53 and then worked part time in another job until 60. Mum retired at 60.

I hope to retire at 68, but suspect the goalposts to be moved again before then.

I don't really mind. I'd rather work if I can than be poor in retirement.

MaryWestmacott Sat 29-Mar-14 09:51:47

My dad retired at 55, my mum around 58. (she then worked part time for a while). To be honest, it wasn't good for them, they stopped working and became old - almost over night. They don't have enough going on in their lives, they have focussed on careers over all else so don't have hobbies. It's a bit sad really, and they are driving my DB (who they live near) completely insane.

Personally, I think it will be around the same age, but will make an effort to have stuff in my life so I'm not just going to stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now