Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Income over 50k, but deductions take it under. Tax return necessary?

(8 Posts)
InMySpareTime Wed 26-Mar-14 16:16:00

Just that really.
DH got his last payslip of the tax year, his income was over £50k, but when we take off Childcare vouchers, pension contributions and gift aid it's back under 50k.
Does he need to do a tax return even though we'll still get full CB after deductions?

ihategeorgeosborne Wed 26-Mar-14 17:16:30

I would think not.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Mar-14 19:25:20

If he pays pension contributions, gives to charity and is above the HRT threshold it may be worth submitting a SA return anyway. He could qualify for a rebate and there is always the possibility that he has been overcharged PAYE.

InMySpareTime Wed 26-Mar-14 19:56:06

Thanks, I was leaning towards doing the return with for DH anyway on the grounds that we gift aid a lot each year. Might have to wait for his P11D though.

TalkinPeace Wed 26-Mar-14 22:24:05

I'd suggest a tax return if you have gift aid and P11d

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Mar-14 07:17:51

If you're new to SA I can highly recommend a personal tax/online filing product called 'TaxCalc'. Best £20-25 I spend all year.

I had to start doing them about 3 years ago, I claw back a couple of hundred pounds of Gift Aid and rebate on professional subscriptions and it only takes an hour or so to do it now I've got the hang of it. Takes a bit longer to assemble all the paperwork first but that's mainly adding up the Gift Aid stuff.

InMySpareTime Fri 28-Mar-14 08:14:55

I already have to do my own SA tax return as I'm self-employed, it's not much more work to do DH's too. His tax situation is fairly simple, and we already record all our gift aid contributions.
Thanks everyone, I knew MN would know the right thing to do...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now