Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax: rental income: information and help

(11 Posts)
martin366 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:28:28

Hello, I’m Belgium and I do not know very well the british tax process.
I work in London as an employee, and I have additional rental income (I rent a room of my appartement). I have a national insurance number.
I have send the forms concerning these incomes to HMRC ; I have send my tax return on paper to my local HMRC.
What documents should I get from the HMRC concerning this rental income ? what letters HMRC will send to me ?
Thank for your help.

specialsubject Wed 26-Mar-14 11:56:18

you won't get anything back except an acknowledgement of your tax return and any payment owing, or a demand for any tax owning.

if you filled in the 'property income' page and declared everything, you've done all the right things.

you might want to register online for the HMRC self-assessment service - if you have a British address you can do that.

note: there is a rent-a-room scheme which means that income below a certain level is tax free.

martin366 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:06:03

Thanks for your reply.
I may seem a very silly question , but I am a foreigner, and I have never seen an english acknowledgement of a tax return : what look like this document?: What is written in the title of this document? Is it written "acknowledgement of tax return" , or something else ?.
Thank for your help.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Mar-14 14:52:10

As the PP said, you may find that the room you are renting - providing you are not charging more than £250/month - falls under the tax-free 'Rent A Room Scheme'.

HMRC letters are usually very distinctive and self-explanatory. I have one in front of me received after I submitted an online return and it simply says 'Thank you for your recent claim to repayment. A bank transfer of £XXX is being made to your account'

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 14:57:25

Rent a room scheme allows £4250 which is tax free.

You won't receive an acknowledgement of the return and you won't hear anything if you have completed correctly and settled any tax due.

You will receive a statement of account in July though.

If there is unfinished business, ie tax to pay or refund or any other query you will receive a letter from HMRC in due course.

Was it a late 12-13 return? Have you registered for on-line returns in future?

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 14:57:53

£4250 per year I should clarify.

Beastofburden Wed 26-Mar-14 14:59:43

I think you should ask a friend with some financial experience to look at your tax return. If you didn't tick the box that says "do you want to claim rent a room relief?" then you will have paid too much tax. That's because you can rent a room in your own house and get some of that tax free.

If you have done it wrong, you can write to the taxman and say so, and they will give you your money back.

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 15:05:27

If it does come under rent a room scheme there is no need to even enter/declare it on a tax return btw.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Mar-14 15:52:45

Sorry... £4250/year. Used to be £250/month and I'm out of date smile

Beastofburden Wed 26-Mar-14 16:13:53

girl that's only true if he gets below the limit. but if he gets say £6,000 a year from a lodger, he can still claim the £4,250 a year relief.

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 16:37:51

YY Beast, should have said if it comes under rent a room scheme threshold in mmy post blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: