Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

leftover foreign currency

(8 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Tue 25-Mar-14 16:58:38

I've been decluttering and have come across loads. Some is now obselete currencies like French francs but there's plenty of weird and wonderful stuff still in existence.
We haven't got a foreign holiday planned yet so those airport donation boxes aren't an option.
Can I donate it directly to charity or exchange it for not much commission and then donate it?
Thanks!

stuckindamiddle Tue 25-Mar-14 19:38:36

bump!

peppapigmustdie Tue 25-Mar-14 19:40:13

If you take it to a Post Office they used to have a box for unused currency for the nspcc.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Mar-14 19:41:00

I think some charity shops take foreign coins. And maybe churches too. Even obsolete currency.

I appreciate this isn't any concrete help, but at least it's a bump for you.

specialsubject Wed 26-Mar-14 10:35:58

there is no way for the public to exchange coins (current or obsolete) or the pre-Euro currencies. But it seems that charities can make use of them.

found this one, sure there are plenty of others:

http://wessexcancer.org.uk/get-involved/donations/

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 12:33:36

Thanks I'll look into charities then.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 26-Mar-14 12:38:39

I've just spotted that my local Oxfam has a sign on the door saying they take foreign coins.

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 12:39:58

Oh great. There's an Oxfam shop in town.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: