Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

leftover foreign currency

(8 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Tue 25-Mar-14 16:58:38

I've been decluttering and have come across loads. Some is now obselete currencies like French francs but there's plenty of weird and wonderful stuff still in existence.
We haven't got a foreign holiday planned yet so those airport donation boxes aren't an option.
Can I donate it directly to charity or exchange it for not much commission and then donate it?
Thanks!

stuckindamiddle Tue 25-Mar-14 19:38:36

bump!

peppapigmustdie Tue 25-Mar-14 19:40:13

If you take it to a Post Office they used to have a box for unused currency for the nspcc.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Mar-14 19:41:00

I think some charity shops take foreign coins. And maybe churches too. Even obsolete currency.

I appreciate this isn't any concrete help, but at least it's a bump for you.

specialsubject Wed 26-Mar-14 10:35:58

there is no way for the public to exchange coins (current or obsolete) or the pre-Euro currencies. But it seems that charities can make use of them.

found this one, sure there are plenty of others:

http://wessexcancer.org.uk/get-involved/donations/

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 12:33:36

Thanks I'll look into charities then.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 26-Mar-14 12:38:39

I've just spotted that my local Oxfam has a sign on the door saying they take foreign coins.

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 12:39:58

Oh great. There's an Oxfam shop in town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now