Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HSBC not interested in non- working contactless card...anyone else?

(4 Posts)
Halsall Tue 25-Mar-14 16:26:59

I have a (very) small business and wanted a contactless debit card for minor purchases, so was pleased when my new HSBC debit card turned out to have this facility.

But....it didn't work. Tried it on 2 different readers for v small purchases, no good. I have a contactless card with another bank which works, so I do know how to use it, and that it's only for amounts under £20.

Took it into a branch; they were clueless but said they'd order another. The new one arrived and that didn't work as a contactless either. Rang HSBC and again, no clue. Eventually got a letter to say they were pondering my case and would be in touch.

The result was another letter solemnly telling me that I need to hold the card to the reader till it beeps - well, duh, I KNOW how to use it; it just doesn't work! Or failing that, make a normal PIN transaction. But that's not what I want to do.

Aaaarrrgggh! angry angry

Just spoken to them again (and had to explain to the person on the phone what 'contactless' meant).....all they can suggest is yet another card. Their website boasts about all their debit cards being contactless, so it's even more galling.

So has anyone else had this and if so, did you get it resolved?

Swoosg Thu 27-Mar-14 20:38:06

No, but my credit card never worked online. I rang repeatedly, went through the 'verified by visa' process at least three times... still never worked.

ThemeOne Sun 01-Nov-15 14:11:07

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem and this is the first things I've found online that's similar. Curious to know if you ever got to the bottom of your non-working card.

In my case I had two contactless cards (different banks). At first both worked fine, and then, around the same time, both mysteriously stopped working. I've now got a replacement for the one I use more, and guess what, that isn't working either.

The only suggestion I've found is poor manufacturing, which I guess is possible, but I'd have thought they would never have worked in that case.

Strangely, both cards still work on the TFL contactless readers, but I think the processing there is done slightly differently, given there's no opportunity to enter a PIN, so maybe they have more of an "accept all" policy.

Ememem84 Sun 08-Nov-15 12:07:48

Mine doesn't work either and its Hsbc. My joint ac card does. It's just my personal one.

Very odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now