Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Money worries any advice ??

(7 Posts)
Mitsi10 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:43:13

Never had any money worries till I moved out of parents home in jan the first few months were ok but now it's crunch time been worried about this for 2 weeks now once I've paid everything I'm left with hardly any money same goes for fri when I get my wages will be left with nothing last thing I want to do is to be in debt and I know my rent and council tax is right at the top of list to be paid

I have a appointment with the councils money matters team on the 9th of May any money advice to help me get through April

I work part time get CT and WT and CB have 2 catalogues (one I'm just about finished paying for and the other the bill is high ) one credit card (which I've been using to buy my shopping etc) the bill for that will the sky high

Drquin Mon 24-Mar-14 11:54:15

Not knowing specifics, I appreciate some ideas may not be possible or relevant, but use imagination and see if they could work for your specific situation.

Do you know EXACTLY your income and expenditure? Sounds like its tight enough that you need to work it out quite precisely, until you're a bit more comfortable.
What flexibility is there? Can you earn anymore? (Bearing in mind whether that then impacts any credits / benefits or child care costs)

Can you work out a different payment schedule with catalogue and credit card? Whilst paying it off over a longer period of time will lead to you paying more in interest, it may be a short-term solution. Is an interest-free credit card an option if you'll need to rely on it, especially if you could get a good deal on avalanche transfers.

Outgoings - be really ruthless with what you spend. It's easier to do if you think it's only a short-term thing too. Write down everything you spend - especially the small amounts, a couple of chocolate bars or a magazine or whatever and that's the guts of a fiver gone before you know it. Assess everything - you can read magazines in the library; can you walk where you'd take the car or bus?

Drquin Mon 24-Mar-14 11:55:50

Sorry that should be "balance" transfers obviously, no avalanches to be moved :-)

Mitsi10 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:14:44

Thanks is rather get help straight away than sit and no pay stuff if I didn't have my card and catalogues I would have money left I'm sure the people I'll be seeing said they will try and get the card and that down to a more manageable payment

My card was only there for if I really needed it but now it seems I'm using it more often just to get by
I've to make a list anyway of what I've got coming in and out so here's hoping by addressing the problem straight away works

Mum2Fergus Mon 24-Mar-14 13:00:34

Pop over to the debt support thread #2...lots of us in similar position so you may get some ideas x

Mitsi10 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:45:08

Thank you xxx

Nojustalurker Mon 31-Mar-14 20:10:41

If there is only one adult in the household are you claiming your 25% council tax reduction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now