Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Working while trying for a baby

(28 Posts)
ladyblue91 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:14:37

Hello

I am trying for a baby but wonder how many ladies out there continued to and to how many months ? I mean I would like to continue working for a few months if I get pregnant. How safe is working while pregnant ? there is not much information on this subject out there :/

Skiingmaniac Fri 14-Mar-14 23:16:34

It depends what work you do. I teach and I worked to 34 weeks preg with dc1 and 32 weeks with Dc2 (stopped due to medical conditions)

Skiingmaniac Fri 14-Mar-14 23:17:08

Both DCs born at 38 weeks

EveryDaysAnAdventure Fri 14-Mar-14 23:18:35

Another teacher here.

I worked until 38weeks.

I could be wrong but I think most people will continue to work until close to their due date if possible. Certainly most of my friends have worked until between 35 & 38 weeks.

AntiJamDidi Fri 14-Mar-14 23:18:46

I worked up to 38 weeks. That seems pretty normal in my workplace (a school) with most of us aiming for the start of maternity leave to coincide with the start of a new term.

Assuming you have a problem-free pregnancy and a normally safe job why on earth wouldn't you continue to work?

ladyblue91 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:21:38

Thank you ladies for your replies smile did you have the option to sit down in class ? I'm asking because I stand a lot at work and now a little concerned as don't want to put too much pressure on my body in the first few weeks :/

Innogen Fri 14-Mar-14 23:22:18

Worked until the day I went into labour. Completely safe and not a problem for me or baby.

Mitchell2 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:23:28

Not sure why you think working and being pregnant at the same time can't go together? Does you job involve risks that may pose harm to you/ the baby?

If you are pregnant at the time you tell your employer a risk assessment should be done and modifications made to your working environment if needed.

In a lot if cases women work up until 38 weeks, without an issue. I'm currently 6 months and have continued with my work fine and will do so until that time. But if there are complications then you may need to give up work early, but usually this is signed off sick until your leave.

BonnetDeDouche Fri 14-Mar-14 23:24:34

I finished work last week at 38+1. I'm a nurse in A&E and have been lucky enough to have 2 smooth pregnancies (worked until 37 weeks with PFB) with heaps of energy and a relatively small bump.

EveryDaysAnAdventure Fri 14-Mar-14 23:26:21

I'm lucky that I had a straightforward pregnancy so I can't say that I changed much about my day at all except for switching to decaf tea.

I teach secondary so was on my feet for most of the day but I could sit down if I wanted.

Pregnancy is not an illness and I would try and continue as normal for as long as possible if you can. It will be a long 9 months otherwise.

Good luck

Abbierhodes Fri 14-Mar-14 23:27:55

Most people work while pregnant. confused
I don't understand why you'd see it as unsafe!

BackforGood Fri 14-Mar-14 23:29:52

Depends on your job and your commute, and how lucky you are in terms of remaining well and healthy - it's difficult to predict.
The best thing to do is to try to keep working as long as you are comfortable, but none of us can tell you when that will be for you.

You can also factor in things like annual leave too, so take some days off without starting your mat leave.

Chlorinella Fri 14-Mar-14 23:32:10

Self employed , in a restaurant , and carried on working until 37 weeks ( though bending to get plates out of the warming oven was a challenge
And DS was 4 days early
Ummm just get on with it , you'll be pregnant , it's not an illness .

scottishmummy Fri 14-Mar-14 23:32:22

What information do you seek exactly?your post are overly cautious,why are you so worried?
Have you not worked either any pg colleagues,or had pals be pg and work?
Off top of head the only pg women relieved of duties are military,are you military?

ladyblue91 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:34:46

Thanks ladies smile

This is my first time with all this so am totally new to whats to come if I get pregnant ! so its great to get these answers thank you smile I just want to make sure things go smoothly as this is new to me. My job involves a lot of standing up, sometimes lifting and rushing around I just want to make sure its safe.

Permanentlyexhausted Fri 14-Mar-14 23:35:07

I worked until 38 weeks with my first and until 36 weeks with my second (only finished then as I had to use or lose my annial leave before my mat leave started).

Pasithea Fri 14-Mar-14 23:35:50

My old boss worked till she had contractions on the Friday gave birth Saturday returned to work Sunday. Mind she was a bit weird and in a very unfortunate situation. But regardless of that. You should be fine , just take it easy when you feel you need to and listen to the pros .

Pasithea Fri 14-Mar-14 23:36:36

Sorry meant to say returned to work Monday , she did have one day off lol

2kidsintow Fri 14-Mar-14 23:39:13

You'll feel more tired (especially at the beginning and at the end) and may feel sick at the start. But usually, you are quite safe doing whatever you've been used to doing in your job because your body isn't used to it.

You might want to be careful with lifting too much as your ligaments etc get a bit looser, but you won't have to stop lifting.

My zumba instructor continued teaching her class till she was 7 months pregnant, for example, as her body was used to doing that and it wasn't a problem.

Yes, you might have a rougher time if you get complications, but for most people (me included) the side effects of pregnancy don't stop you working.

Permanentlyexhausted Fri 14-Mar-14 23:40:23

Plus people usually want to save most of their mat leave for once the baby is born, assuming you're planning on going back to work.

scottishmummy Fri 14-Mar-14 23:41:58

If work took your colleague back 2days post birth they broke they law.2weeks is minimum time if not take mat leave
Op take look at rights when working

TheFabulousIdiot Fri 14-Mar-14 23:42:01

Once you get pregnant and tell your employer they will have to do a risk assessment and you will be taken off duties that involve lifting, using chemicals etc.

I worked up to 38 weeks and returned to work when baby was ten months-ish.

scottishmummy Fri 14-Mar-14 23:43:22

Op,your Employer is obliged to undertake a risk assessment

ladyblue91 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:47:09

Thank you so much ladies this is very helpful smile and sorry if my question annoyed anyone lol this is my first time and I have not worked with anyone who was pregnant so that's why I am asking.

scottishmummy Fri 14-Mar-14 23:49:26

Gosh,no one annoyed,just wondered your experience of pg colleagues
And how your employer accomodates pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now