Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need to get DH to change his bank But he won't listen

(7 Posts)
Starbear Thu 13-Mar-14 21:52:02

DH is with Natwest that charge him for absolutely everything. He has an overdraft that last year cost him about �500. I have wanted him to change to First Direct as they won't charge him anywhere near that. They will also pay �100 to switch. I have been with them for 25 years and they have been very good. We could work out a way for him to clear his debt using 0% credit cards and budgeting.
I know it's a fag changing it over and I know he tired (very tired from various hip operations and full-time teaching) but flipsake!!
Please give me cunning ways to make him change? It's for his own good but why won't he listen to me. Feel like Annabel Weir in the Paul Whitehouse sketch!!! angry I haven't bought any clothes this year and am full-time and he throws away money!!

Technical Thu 13-Mar-14 21:54:30

If you have much more time than his, can't you just do it and get him to sign as appropriate? That's what I do for anything financial and/or that involves paperwork.

tribpot Thu 13-Mar-14 21:55:46

Why not focus on getting to the point where he doesn't need to pay for the overdraft? I can imagine changing banks is not top of his list of things to do if he's feeling tired - multiple hip ops + working as a teacher sounds like a pretty knackering combination.

You could let him know that the change process now is very simple and generally happens without the account holder having to do a whole pile of chasing things around. But I'd maybe ask him instead what he does want to do to improve your financial health - tackle one thing at a time?

purpleroses Thu 13-Mar-14 21:57:29

Get the paperwork required ( the new bank will send it you), fill it all in and present it to him to sign it. Job done

Making him turn into a person who's good with money would be much more difficult, probably impossible. So the alternative would probably be to divorce him and find a new DH who'd good with money. If your current DH is otherwise lovely, I'd go for the first option grin

Starbear Thu 13-Mar-14 22:08:17

Great idea I'll get the paperwork fill it in and sort it out for him. I thought he had to tell Natwest?

Starbear Thu 13-Mar-14 22:15:03

purpleroses, DH is lovely He is good at DIY, does some housework (within limits of his disability) good with Ds and not bad in the sack (within limits of..... ha ha )
Ex-boyfriend has paid off his mortgage a few years ago ( I heard) but was a git! Hey ho

purpleroses Thu 13-Mar-14 22:33:21

The new bank will give him a form to sign that they pass on to NatWest I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now