Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If my rent gets put up (private rental) does my housing benefit go up too?

(9 Posts)
Discomama Tue 11-Mar-14 16:46:54

Is it capped at a certain amount? I am lucky enough to have a relatively cheap private rental, however I think my landlord will be increasing the rent when it's due for renewal, so, does my housing benefit increase also? Otherwise I'll end up moving somewhere smaller for even more money bizarrely!!

LydiaLunches Tue 11-Mar-14 16:51:00

Do you top up? Or currently is it all covered? If you top up, you are being paid the maximum available to you so no increase. If you have all your rent paid, you will receive an increase unless the rent increases beyond your relevant LHA which you can google.

LIZS Tue 11-Mar-14 16:53:54

Think it is capped at the LHA for your family's needs.

sillymillyb Tue 11-Mar-14 16:57:24

It is capped by your lha depending on your circumstances. You will be able to look it up online.

I get the rate for a 2 bed, regardless of where I actually choose to live and what that costs in reality.

Sparklysilversequins Tue 11-Mar-14 16:58:42

Yes, as long as it's not over your LHA cap for your rent.

Discomama Tue 11-Mar-14 17:10:24

Ah, will have to see if I can find out online, it's not all covered, I top up by about £150 a month - fingers crossed then, or I'm buggered!!

LydiaLunches Tue 11-Mar-14 19:23:41

If you top up, either your rent is already above the LHA or you work and your income means that you are only entitled to the amount you get of HB regardless of your rent. That's how I understand it, would ring the council thouhg hmm

Discomama Wed 12-Mar-14 06:52:25

Yes I do work...doh!!

Discomama Wed 12-Mar-14 06:53:27

I would ring, but it's being on hold for eveeer that puts me off! I'll do it today grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now