Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Private let, council home or mortgage advice please

(5 Posts)
Mitsi10 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:28:04

I'm a single mother of one and have recently moved from my parents house to a private let house I'm determined to make this work for me and my daughter although the house anit perfect (still waiting on repairs etc) but I was thinking whats best in the long run wait for a council house which I have updated my claim due to being near parents as dad is ill just a matter of waiting stay with private rented property's or try to apply for a mortgage
I have a part time job at the moment and get tax credits

What the best for my wee girl so what would be best any advice will be great and I'm in Scotland so things may work different here from those in England

Babyroobs Tue 11-Mar-14 15:35:27

It may be very difficult to get a council property as many councils won't see you as priority once you are in a private renatl. However it does depend on your area. Many mortgage lenders do not take tax credits into account when deciding to give you a mortgage, so you may need to consider what amount you could borrow.Do you have a big deposit?

Mitsi10 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:16:45

I've been told I'll need to wait for council house no idea how long though as it's a point system so cause I look after my dad durning the day I get more not enough but some

Haven't got a deposit yet was a idea I had for a while no idea if I could afford a mortgage etc but if I don't ask I won't know

bberry Tue 11-Mar-14 22:21:54

Halifax take the most state benefits into account... When you have a 5% deposit...

sarahquilt Wed 12-Mar-14 20:35:16

You need around 15000 - 20000 in the bank for a deposit - minimum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now