Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help for parents who support full time students over 20

(3 Posts)
wnatoknow Mon 03-Mar-14 17:01:10

does anybody know if there is a help for parents who support FT students over 20.
my son is 21, studies in UWE for uniformed and public services. its undergraduate course.
I would like to find out the following:
1. if I am applying for housing benefits, he is dependant or non-dependant
2. Can I get any help for supporting him as we do not get child benefit any more
Thank you

Rockchick1984 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:51:09

If he is studying for an undergraduate course, the onus is on him to apply for student finance to support himself, you aren't then eligible for any help to pay for things for him.

LadyLapsang Mon 03-Mar-14 23:20:38

As Rockchick states, he needs to apply for a student loan. Also he could help by getting work in the holidays (or term time if it will fit with studying) = that will help both his CV and his finances.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: