Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI calls

(8 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Feb-14 10:09:44

To the best of my knowledge, I've never had PPI in my life. However, I've now had quite a few of those phone calls where the person on the other end sounds extremely confident that 'their records' show I have. hmm

Without saying 'tell me more' to a phone spammer who probably wouldn't tell me anyway, how would I find out?

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Feb-14 11:47:10

They wouldn't have access to your confidential financial information - they say it confidently precisely so that people say "tell me more". You can contact any companies you have had loans / credit cards with and they can tell you if you had PPI on the account.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Feb-14 12:42:49

That's just it. I've rarely taken out loans in the past and, whilst I've had a few credit cards down the years, I couldn't tell you with whom, never leave a balance on them anyway and I've no idea if any of them included insurance. Guess I'll never know. smile

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Feb-14 12:48:37

If it's less than 6 years since you finished repaying them, they will still be on your credit file - maybe worth a look?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Feb-14 13:45:42

Definitely haven't had any in the last six years. It's a pity because I'd love to be getting a slice of the current compensation!

TalkinPeace Fri 28-Feb-14 14:06:37

If you HAVE had a PPI loan, all you need to do is write to your own bank and sort it.

Those people who phone are ALL scammers

I am (to my knowledge) one of the very few people who ever successfully claimed on a mortgage protection / ppi policy
but that was in the 80's

I love it when they call : I've had no loans now for over 15 years
so I string them along as long as I can as if they are on the phone with me they cannot be trapping somebody vulnerable

EdwiniasRevenge Fri 28-Feb-14 14:10:25

I've claimed on a policy.

And still got compensation as it was still mis sold.

nicename Fri 28-Feb-14 14:16:32

They are chancers. I get the pre-recorded ones, so I can't even ask them to take me off the their list. It's like the ones you get calling 'about your xxx account', when they have nothing to do with BT/Tmobile/HSBC/british has etc.

If I do get a live person I ask them exactly where thereby got my information, who they are calling from, what info they have, etc. never give them any information or confirm anything they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now