Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing benefit when partner is a student receiving a stipend?

(3 Posts)
seashell81 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:45:26

Hiya. Just posting this on the off chance someone out there might have the answer! I'm due to have my first baby in May and am currently working out all the financial stuff and just trying to gather all the info before I contact government departments. I am currently temping so will be unemployed by time baby arrives and entitled to maternity allowance. My query is regarding my eligibility for housing benefit. My partner is a post graduate student with a stipend of approx £10,600 a year. Will this be taken into account the same as if he was on a normal salary or will it be classed differently because he is studying? Also what impact does a partner's income have on how much you can claim?
I'd be grateful for any insight!
Many thanks.

TinyDiamond Thu 27-Feb-14 16:51:12

Hi I don't know for sure as haven't done it but do have two couples as friends both on Phd stipends with the Mum off with the children and they do get hb, tax credits etc so it IS possible. I am assuming the 10k would be taken as a salary yes. But seeing as it is low then hopefully you'd be ok. Good luxk with it all.

TinyDiamond Thu 27-Feb-14 16:52:34

Hi I don't know for sure as haven't done it but do have two couples as friends both on Phd stipends with the Mum off with the children and they do get hb, tax credits etc so it IS possible. I am assuming the 10k would be taken as a salary yes. But seeing as it is low then hopefully you'd be ok. Good luxk with it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now