Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI claims - what reason to believe mis-sold?

(9 Posts)
Fisharefriendsnotfood Tue 25-Feb-14 09:02:32

So, I've been meaning to do this for ages.. The form I have asks for a reason why you think you have been mis sold.

I've no idea, I just want to know if I am eligible or not for a refund.. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Laststop Tue 25-Feb-14 09:14:07

Well you would be eligible for a refund if it was missold so if you can think of a reason why then you wasn't missold ?

FiveOwls Tue 25-Feb-14 09:29:38

Not an expert, but do you remember the circumstances under which you were sold the PPI in the first instance? In my case it was 16 years ago and I don't really remember so am not claiming. The point is that for many people it wasn't needed, because they were already protected against missing payments due to, say, illness, by some other insurance/arrangement that they had. Other people were given a "hard sell", e.g. fast-talking, skimming over any idea that this was a choice, or that they should have taken time to consider whether they needed it or not. Some of these people, if given the chance, might have looked into their existing cover and realised that they didn't need the PPI.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 25-Feb-14 09:38:18

I remember cancelling PPI that was added to a credit card I had because I realised after reading the terms one day that I wouldn't be covered as my job was temporary

I refused it thereafter

However I do remember bring obliged to take out mortgage income protection with HSBC.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Feb-14 09:50:16

- It was sold as conditional on taking out the loan. i.e. you had no choice but to pay for PPI
- You would not have been ale to claim e.g. if you were self-employed, unemployed or retired
- You didn't realise you'd taken it out.

There are others. The www.moneysavingexpert.com site has a really good section on getting PPI refunds.

AmIGoingMad Fri 28-Feb-14 06:04:32

I gave one of those mentioned by cogito. I said that it was simply presented to me as part of the loan that I had to have if I wanted the loan and that no mention was made of my choice. I used the fact that on a future loan with the same bank I hadn't taken it out as on that occasion it had been properly explained to reinforce my point.

My claim was successful. I second what cogito says about the moneysavingexpert website- its fantastic for this.

Good luck!

VivaLeBeaver Fri 28-Feb-14 06:44:23

My boss gave the reason that being a midwife in the nhs is secure so she wouldn't have lost her job and that she gets 12 months paid sick leave.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 28-Feb-14 06:50:25

I also recommend the moneysavingexpert site. I used it 5 years ago and made successful claims against the coop and credit card (I'm self employed)

Chasdingle Fri 28-Feb-14 23:18:43

i never took PPI out as i always thought it was a rip of, but just got a big refund for DP. Basically on his loan he had rolled over the loan a couple of times and the bank manager had told him if he didn't take out the PPI the new loan wouldn't be granted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now