Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much for a renewal of child passport?

(55 Posts)
M1SSUNDERSTOOD Sun 23-Feb-14 21:16:15

Hi have applied online for the above and think I might have got confused. I am sure I have been charged £69 but on hmso website it says £46. I can't understand difference unless I have applies for premium or some extra service. The email I have received is from passport.co.uk confirming receipt of application and giving me a reference number which it says you can't follow up until 3 weeks have elapsed.

PatriciaHolm Sun 23-Feb-14 21:26:29

Are you sure you did it through www.gov.uk? There are some unscrupulous sites that will "process" it for you for an extra fee when they do nothing other than forward your forms to the gov.uk site...

GiveTwoSheets Sun 23-Feb-14 21:31:13

£46

As above poster said, are you sure it was gov website as I've just done all forms online for me and kids yesterday you don't pay until they send you printed out form and you signed it and sent photos etc thats when you pay.

Hope you haven't been caught out by those other sites that so many have fallen for

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Sun 23-Feb-14 21:31:28

Thanks think I gave details to a site called passport.uk.co.uk as when I look at the hmso website to retrieve application, it asks for a password which I didn't create. Wonder if I can cancel transaction on visa. Now I see official website also has http before it.

GiveTwoSheets Sun 23-Feb-14 21:45:31

Yes passport.co.uk is not the official one you have been duped, its bollocks that these sites are allowed to run even. I did see a thread about it on here somewhere but cant remember and that some did manage to get money back. I really hope you do get your money back.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Sun 23-Feb-14 22:08:47

Thanks just looked at visa website and says you can't cancel a pending transaction as it has already been processed by stint of it being authorised by me. The only way it can be refunded is if the merchant agrees to it. Somehow I don't think they will.

specialsubject Mon 24-Feb-14 14:12:02

raise a complaint with Visa, but sadly you aren't the first with this and you won't be the last.

the guy who runs most of these fraud sites is under investigation, but it is such easy money that many more are springing up.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 16:14:44

sounds like you were on the wrong website as all the official ones are .gov.uk ones.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/renewing-your-childs-passport

you could try ringing the company you used to see if they will refund you as a goodwill gesture

castlehill123 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:49:43

I have also found out today that I have been duped by this company. I tried to call the phone number given but it is a premium rate number so not willing to waste yet more money.

I have sent an email but am sure there will be no reply. Just wish google could remove these listings from there search engine.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 21:33:59

Hi I phoned visa who say they can't cancel payment unless it is for non receipt of goods. They can't do this until 15 days from transaction. To phone passport office to see if they received the application and if not this would count as non receipt of goods.

Castle what email address and phone number did you have? All I have is a no reply email for passport.uk.co.uk. Was thinking a tweet might be in order too if i knew who to tweet to.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 21:39:59

is it https://www.passports-uk.co.uk/Contact.aspx or a different site?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 21:40:41

the company will send the forms out for you to sign btw

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 22:09:29

Ilove it is that site. So I have paid £69 for some papers to be printed. I now realise it doesn't include the £46 to the passport office. Feel very cheated and a fool for falling for it. Don't think I will be the first and certainly not the last.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 22:11:50

Sorry so worked up there forgot to say thanks for finding site. Will email them and see what they say.

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Feb-14 22:22:23

OP
contact your credit card company and put the transaction on dispute
then write to your MP
these sites should be shut down

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 22:27:52

Thanks Talk I have contacted cc company and they said they couldn't do anything as it is a valid service. They are aware of these sites as others have complained.

At the very least it is disingenuous to say they process the form when all the do is post it to me and I have to send itf back to passport office!

Will tweet my local pm and paper.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 22:28:31

*mp not pm!

castlehill123 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:31:15

The email I used was support@passport.UK.com and phone number is 0843 497 4444. Beware of the premium rate number.

The company behind the website are WHO4. We are not the first to fall for this many other stories on line.
More needs to be done to prevent this. My credit card company couldn't help me as they said it wasn't considered a scam.....!!!

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Feb-14 22:37:54

the site is owned by Identity Protect Limited, registered in Godalming
whois.net/whois/passport.uk.com
the directors are as follows
https://www.duedil.com/company/07407280/identity-protect-limited/people

Matthew Stephen Mansell is involved with many such sites

BohemianCrapsody Mon 24-Feb-14 22:38:43

First-time ever posting to say that I too have just been duped by this site to the tune of £207 (mine and 2 of the children's passports needed renewing). I've received the printed forms back and they've filled each one in wrong which is the basis of my request for my money back which I emailed today. This company has been referred to the ASA by Which magazine as they had used the word "official" on their site but I'm not sure if that's been taken out now.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 22:48:57

I know Bohemian, it's a total con and looking at website they seem to have covered their backs by adding disclaimers. It can't be right they can do this.

I am awaiting a reply to my email to them as apparently there is a 7 day cooling period to change your mind.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Mon 24-Feb-14 22:55:44

Thanks castle and talkin peace for details on company.

caramelwaffle Mon 24-Feb-14 22:59:49

Threads like this deserve bumping everyday to WARN EVERYONE.

Go for .gov.uk sites.

The same scam is pulled on - for example - driving test booking sites.

wooldonor Mon 24-Feb-14 23:14:07

Also be very careful if you want an EHIC card - these are free, don't fall for any sites that ask for payment

TalkinPeace Tue 25-Feb-14 16:37:29

and the ESTA only costs $14 from the US .gov site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now