Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sent money to the wrong account

(5 Posts)
ConfusedDotty Sat 22-Feb-14 14:25:06

I wonder if anyone could advise me please.

I have transferred a sum of money to the wrong person's bank account. I have sent it to another payee on my internet banking list. The person I have sent it is to be trusted. But, and here's the big but. She had closed her account for financial problems and has agreed to pay back her overdraft, but this £600+ I have just transferred has been eaten up by her overdraft. I feel awful, she had to tell me the situation as I asked if she could simply send it back to me. She hasn't contacted her old bank yet.

Do you think if I speak with my bank and explain I sent it to a wrong bank account they could just recall it as she really could do without calling the bank she owes money to.

I could kick myself, it was supposed to be transferred to my vet's account.

ConfusedDotty Sat 22-Feb-14 14:26:04

Just to let you know, this was late yesterday afternoon and it hasn't bounced back to my account.

AgentProvocateur Sat 22-Feb-14 14:28:28

What an awful situation. From what I remember reading about similar cases, the bank can't just recall it. Your friend has to send it back. Sorry

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 14:34:46

A quick check on the main high street banks websites says that unfortunately it is the sender's responsibility to make sure it's gone to the right person and there's little they can do to get it back for you.

I hope you get it sorted op, such an easy mistake to make. thanks

WeAreEternal Sat 22-Feb-14 14:49:44

I feel your pain, I did this last year.

Unfortunately the money can not be recalled, the only thing you can do is ask your friend to return the money, and if it's been eaten by her overdraft she will have to find it elsewhere, technically she has it as it has just been used to pay her debt.

The only other thing you could do is contact her bank, explain that the money was sent in error and that you want it back, don't tell them you know the account holder.
They should write to her and explain the situation and they may send the money back of she is making payments on the debt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now