Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why would I need to keep a credit card statement once it's paid?

(14 Posts)
Nessalina Fri 21-Feb-14 17:25:47

I am a serious hoarder of documents, I have several files full, and I'm having a sort out. I'm keeping enough bank/savings statements so that I have the last full tax year, but is there any reason I actually need to keep a paid credit card bill?!

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 21-Feb-14 17:27:55

Just in case a Credit scoring company has the wrong info, and you are shown as missing a payment?

Am clutching the proverbials here, but I usually keep the last 12 months myself.

ShadowOfTheDay Fri 21-Feb-14 17:28:26

if I buy a large item I keep the statement as proof I paid for it on a credit card, and of the date for warranty purposes (sometimes the receipts fade to nothing)... Same if I pay for a holiday in advance - keep it til the holiday is done... apart from that I don't keep them....

SanityClause Fri 21-Feb-14 17:29:11

If you are self employed, you need to keep more than if you are not. Details are on the HMRC website.

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 21-Feb-14 17:29:32

If you needed to access the statement couldn't you do so online?

HindsightisaMarvellousThing Fri 21-Feb-14 17:33:11

I used to keep mine and they proved very useful when dealing with an insurance company after a car fire. We had to prove we'd owned things we were claiming for, and the credit card statements worked a treat.

As they're available online now, I don't bother any more.

Nessalina Fri 21-Feb-14 17:33:16

I'm not registered online with my credit cards....
Good idea to check the HMRC site, I'm not self employed, so I think I may be being a little OTT grin

Notify Fri 21-Feb-14 17:33:29

I keep everything for 6 years, which is the statute of limitations, so no-one can take you to court for anything unpaid after that date.

I keep them so I can prove I've paid for things if necessary, insurance, a pair of shoes that brakes, or a holiday etc ? Can't say I've often had to use them that way but there has been the odd occasion.

Nessalina Fri 21-Feb-14 17:39:26

Right, the revenue doesn't want 'em, so looks like unless there's something on them that I need to use as proof of purchase, I can bin 'em. Result!

TalkinPeace Fri 21-Feb-14 17:59:46

I keep them in case I ever need to prove what was bought when.
I'm self employed so keep everything for 7 years
bank statements I keep forever
credit card statements for 15 years
P60's for ever

Nessalina Fri 21-Feb-14 21:04:30

Wow Talkin - how big is your house! wink

TalkinPeace Fri 21-Feb-14 21:30:54

I have a 15 inch thick layer of loft insulation, otherwise known as paperwork.
When we had to empty most of the house for building work it was over 100 transfer files.

alemci Fri 21-Feb-14 22:47:08

I keep mine for ages too.

YouAreTalkingRubbish Fri 21-Feb-14 23:50:59

I keep mine for a couple of years. More to prove I have paid for things if I loose receipts rather than proving I have paid my credit card bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now