Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Insuring a New Young Driver With Mum Having A TT99 Offence on Licence

(14 Posts)
peanutbutterandbanana Fri 21-Feb-14 15:38:00

I'm hoping that someone can please help me.

I'm a middle-aged mum who, unfortunately, received a 6-month driving ban in April 2010 (a TT99 offence code) after accumulating 12 penalty points. Whilst it has been been difficult and expensive to get insurance cover after the ban finished, we are insured with Adrian Flux (and have been since the ban ended).

The TT99 stays on my licence for five years. Since the end of my ban I have had no further points or fixed penalties as I drive extremely carefully. I learnt my lesson, as I guess the ban was supposed to teach me.

My 17 year old daughter has today passed her driving test. But Adrian Flux will not insure anyone under 21 so we cannot add her to the insurance. And I've just been speaking to Co-Op Young Driver Insurance people and they won't insure me (although they will insure my daughter and husband). However, we all would like to be able to drive the car.

It appears that the black-box insurance thing will not be given by any insurer to someone with a TT99 still on their licence (just 1 year and 2 months to go before it is removed).

Can anyone who knows about car insurance please recommend a company who will insure someone with my past AND include an under 21 driver?

And to anyone out there with 9 points on your licence please take care. One more offence and you will be living with the consequences for many years to come. It seems there is no time off for good behaviour with driving sad

Thank you.

GretaWolfcastle Fri 21-Feb-14 15:42:01

I rememebr someone once saying that Farmers Union insurance ? were good with young drivers

GretaWolfcastle Fri 21-Feb-14 15:42:44

www.nfumutual.co.uk/personal/insurance/Our-insurance-products/motor-insurance/car-insurance/

peanutbutterandbanana Fri 21-Feb-14 15:54:45

Thanks Greta. I've filled out their forms and will wait for them to get back to me. But what I am finding is that some insurers will insure an ex banned driver but not an under 21. And others will insure an under 21 but not an ex-banned driver. So have a feeling we are stuffed. And I hate that my daughter cannot enjoy the fact that she has passed her test today and driver herself to swim training tonight by herself. The sins of the fathers (or rather mothers) etc etc

outtolunchagain Fri 21-Feb-14 15:56:25

Have you tried insure the box.We couldn't get co op with even 6 points on my licence but insurethebox were very good and ds is the main driver.Also try LV

specialsubject Fri 21-Feb-14 16:26:23

TBH OP, that is all part of the lesson to which you refer. To get 12 points means you must have been a shockingly dangerous driver. Glad you didn't kill anyone and that you've changed your ways. Sad that it took a driving ban to do it.

and if this example keeps your daughter off the road, she will also know how important it is to drive safely. Although it sounds like she doesn't have to stay off the road, just you.

anyone with 9 points on their licence - sort yourself out before YOU kill someone.

GretaWolfcastle Fri 21-Feb-14 16:33:15

Snigger at judgy pants

Dont think OP was asking for a kangaroo court

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Fri 21-Feb-14 16:41:23

To get 12 points means nothing of the kind.

I (& many others) got points on a main raid where the limit was craftily changed from 40 to 30 with totally inadequate signage.

(One poor bloke who lived nearby & came out of his side road seeing no signs at all was clocked about 9 times in a couple of weeks)

Those who appealed were let off; those who took the points were stuffed.

It was the same road, same conditions, as previously. It didn't mean we all suddenly became crazed speed freaks hmm

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Fri 21-Feb-14 16:42:03

Main road, not raid, sorry (fat fingers)

peanutbutterandbanana Fri 21-Feb-14 17:14:45

Thanks Greta and Smile and Outtolunch for your support and for not wearing judgy pants. I appreciate that you understand where I am coming from and where I am now. All this happened four years ago and with a squeaky clean licence ever since. I am not, nor ever have been, a speed freak. The points were on an A road, three lanes, more speed cams than you care to count and I had to keep driving up and down it to visit my poor old ma with dementia, living on her own. It wasn't hard to do 55mph in a 50mph stretch, especially after leaving a 70mph stretch. It was a very stressful time, made more stressful by the lovely judge who banned me (I looked him up afterwards and he had had his knuckles rapped by The Times for being lenient on paedophiles, the bastard ).

Anyway, this is Mumsnet, not Carnet or Drivenet or Judgynet and I am asking here for help because I would like my clever DD, who passed her test today first time, to be able to drive, like any mum with a clever DD. It seems that insurance companies will either insure an ex-banned driver but not a young driver... or a young driver and not an ex-banned one.

I will look at Insure The Box. But Outtolunch - what is 'LV' ???

Thank you kind people.

outtolunchagain Fri 21-Feb-14 17:19:59

LV used to be Liverpool Victoria !but quite a lot of people seem to use them for young drivers .

I have also heard that NFU are quite good

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Fri 21-Feb-14 17:43:54

DS2 is 20 & insured with Endsleigh - no idea if you've tried them? But they are very good to deal with - I organised & paid for his insurance (he's a student) & the Co-op, for example, wouldn't even speak to me on the phone because it was in his name so I was unimpressed with them

Endsleigh were much more pragmatic & helpful smile & we've been very pleased with them so far.

DD2 once took out insurance with NFU, & due to a communications cock-up her Direct Debit lapsed, & then they were horrible - would not even consider reinstating it and it meant she was then in the category "had insurance refused"

But LV were lovely & took her on, no probs - so another vote for them here, & one against NFU - who also quoted silly money for DH & me because of their mad postcode rules - they only look at the first 2 letters apparently, not the rest of it hmm

peanutbutterandbanana Fri 21-Feb-14 22:38:29

Insure the Box can't help, but another company can so just waiting for a quote. But it may be that buying a £500 car and insuring DD to be main driver could be the cheapest option, would you believe!

Thank you to all (but one) of you for your advice and help today. Much appreciated.

GretaWolfcastle Fri 21-Feb-14 23:21:55

ooh if buying a car, I got a tip, look for hte one with the least accident history - ie not a Ford KA but a skoda oldfucker or similar

that is what they base the insurance on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now