Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Finding an accountant.

(6 Posts)
BrianTheMole Mon 17-Feb-14 13:00:43

How do I go about finding a reputable accountant? I need help to do my payroll and self assessment. I have a new ltd company and I've registered for PAYE and srlf assessment. But faced with the hmrc website, I become a jittering wreck. Managing the accounts is not my strong point. So how do I find someone to help me do it all for me and know they're ok, and not a bit dodgy?

BrianTheMole Mon 17-Feb-14 13:01:24

Srif = self

riksti Mon 17-Feb-14 13:11:41

Do you know self-employed people/people with small family companies? If so, they may be able to recommend someone. Set up a few meetings with them (first meetings are usually free) and see whether you feel you can work with them and what their fees are.

If you don't know anyone who could recommend you an adviser then Google is your friend. I would say about 1/2 of our new clients come through recommendations and the other half has googled us. I would recommend chartered or chartered certified accountants as this will give you some security that the people at the top know what they're talking about. Doesn't mean anyone with no qualifications doesn't but it's a bit more of a hit and miss. On the other hand - qualifications are expensive and the qualified accountants' fees are often more than the unqualifieds.

During the first meeting ask about fees and what they include - does accounts and corporation tax work mean that they will advise you on more tax-efficient options or is that work separate? Can you call up with small queries or will you be charged for it? Do they do your accounts from original documents or do they expect you to summarise everything and only process the figures you give them?

BrianTheMole Mon 17-Feb-14 13:19:41

Thanks riksti. Thats helpful. I don't know anyone who uses an accountant. I'm googling at the moment with my fingers crossed. I'll look for a chartered accountant then. I take it the chartered bits means they are qualified? I really am shamefully clueless

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Feb-14 14:29:52

have a look at the information page I wrote for ebayers
it has a section on choosing an accountant
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

there are several valid Accountancy qualifications
but even qualified accountants can be useless

but as this person will find out a lot about you, they need to be somebody that you are comfortable around

BrianTheMole Mon 17-Feb-14 16:00:21

Thanks talkinpeace. I think I have found someone recomended by a relative. They live some distance away but I guess that doesn't really matter too much. Hopefully this will work out ok. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now