Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax rebate if not return to work after baby?

(2 Posts)
mustardtomango Sun 16-Feb-14 07:35:48

If I were to become a sahm (on mat leave now), would I get a tax rebate at the end of the financial year? They've taxed me thus far, when I was at work at least, on the assumption that I'll continue earning the same amount ongoing... I took mat leave from early Sept

Tia for any advice

LauraBridges Sun 16-Feb-14 07:55:24

Probably. It's not hard to work out. Look at everything you will earn from all sources from 6 April 2013 to now although if you are still being paid salary whilst on leave perhaps not. Assuming you are being paid virtually nothing on maternity leave since September then add up the tax you have paid so far and NI - it will be on your pay slips.

Then go to an on line tax calculator and put in the before tax sum you have earned in this tax year. That will show the tax and NI you should pay. If you've paid more you can claim a refund by completing a tax return for this tax year.

Basically you will have worked only half the year. However it depends on your pay. If half a year is say £10k only and yet they took at lot of tax off you might get it back but if the maternity leave was on the basis of quite a bit of normal pay to be paid back if you don't return then you might not get so much of a refund if any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now