Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Paying cash

(10 Posts)
nappyrat Wed 12-Feb-14 20:48:18

Tradesman asking for payment in cash. Is there any way of getting a receipt / any way of proving I've paid just in case?

Bunbaker Wed 12-Feb-14 20:49:45

They often ask for cash so it doesn't have to go through the books, in which case you won't get a receipt.

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Feb-14 20:50:29

He should still give you a receipt - some of our customers pay cash and they get a receipt just like everyone else. If he isn't wanting to give you a receipt that is decidedly dodgy and i would be inclined to pay by cheque. We prefer BACS to cheque but that isn't always possible, thems the breaks.

nappyrat Wed 12-Feb-14 20:52:03

Thanks bun baker. I just don't know the guy very well, and don't want to get into a situation where I have paid but he says I haven't! Sure it wouldn't happen, but it's not a tiny amount of money, so I want to make sure I'm covered.

nappyrat Wed 12-Feb-14 20:54:40

Thanks, LEMmingaround - when you say your customers get a receipt if they pay cash, is that still advantageous for you? Don't think he'll want a cheque. He's already sent me an invoice, but said he'll just cancel that if I pay cash...

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Feb-14 20:55:33

make him sign for the cash ... he evading tax (illegal)

nappyrat Wed 12-Feb-14 20:57:29

Sign what, though? am I doing anything wrong by paying him cash? Guess not - he's the one evading tax!?

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Feb-14 20:59:20

Write a piece of paper ...
or a copy of his quote ....
"received for building works as agreed £x in cash on 12.02.14"

I'm an accountant. I can be hauled over for paying cash as I cannot pretend I did not know

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Feb-14 21:05:05

The advantage of cash over cheque is that you don't have to wait for a cheque to clear and to be very honest we have sometimes been in a situation where waiting for a cheque to clear has made things very tight for us in the past. We DO accept cheques but we much prefer BACs transfer as they are (mostly) instant transfers. Also, with cash or BACs you know the cheque isn't going to bounce - sadly, this happens.

You would still get a receipt no matter what, i wouldn't dream of not giving someone a receipt, also that is evidence for US that the client has paid and is therefore satisfied with the work.

nappyrat Wed 12-Feb-14 21:08:32

thankyou all, v helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now