Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do find out what shareholdings I have?

(3 Posts)
Mojang Wed 12-Feb-14 15:43:28

I have found a bundle of share certificates. I have never been a pro-active investor but I have a few holdings as a result of the 1980s privatisations, building society de-mutualisation's and some that were given to me for my 21st birthday.

For some of the companies there are several certificates due to rights issues etc. How do I find out exactly what I own? I believe some of the new certificates will be "extra" bonus shares but some could be replacements so it's not necessarily the total on the latest certificate or the total of all the certificates IYSIM. Some of the companies don't exist anymore, how can I find out if I "sold" my shares at the time of the takeover or if I now own shares in the new company?

It's not going to come to much but it would be nice to know (and to get my affairs in order!)

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 12-Feb-14 15:46:36

This article might help you. Look up the share registrar as a first step. I recently paid to replace quite a lot of lost share certificates and they seemed to keep pretty comprehensive records.

LauraBridges Wed 12-Feb-14 16:22:52

I had to do all this after my mother died and I fond a plastic bag (!) with all kinds of share things just stuffed into it - none of massive value but certainly worth our investigating. You can write to the share registrars. I think I also contacted some service which handles lost shares and searches to see if someone has shares but no certificates - I forget its name now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now