Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity Leave and Child Care Vouchers

(17 Posts)
MacTaylorsSecretWife Tue 11-Feb-14 19:50:48

I currently get childcare vouchers through my employer and we are expecting DC2 in September. What will happen in respect to my childcare vouchers? Do I need to stop them? Will they stop automatically when I go on Mat leave? Am I able to still get them and will the amount come off my SMP?

yellowflowers Tue 11-Feb-14 19:53:14

Mine carried on paying mine for me while on mat leave

Framboisier Tue 11-Feb-14 19:56:27

No, you don't have to stop them...can be a good idea to 'stockpile' the for when you have 2 lots of childcare

However other points to consider:

Because they are a salary sacrifice benefit, your mat pay will be calculated based on your salary less voucher amount (May or may not make a great deal of difference depending on your salary level)

If/When you get to your no pay period, your employer does have to carry on providing the vouchers even if you are not technically contributing to the cost

ImNotCute Tue 11-Feb-14 19:58:41

Yes, you should still receive as they're not authorised to deduct anything from your smp (but if they offer enhanced maternity pay I think they are allowed to deduct from anything they're giving you that's additional to smp, my employer didn't though).

If you google it there is lots of info on the hmrc website about it.

RubyrooUK Tue 11-Feb-14 20:03:23

It all depends on your mat pay package, I think.

Mine was statutory - that meant that there was nothing to sacrifice as they can't take SMP for vouchers. So I carried on claiming while on maternity leave and it didn't come out of my wages. My employer had to pay for it. (I was claiming £245 per month I think.)

That was the best thing really about having a crap maternity package. I was able to send DC1 to nursery for some of the time to keep his place open, keep him in the routine of going and give me a little time alone with DC2 without bankrupting myself.

I knew that DC1 would find it very difficult to return to nursery if he had six months off and forgot it. And it was a good structure for him at a time when so much else was changing. He was only there part time too so didn't miss out on time with me and the baby. His little brother now attends the same nursery as I'm back at work.

Rambling post over. smile

MacTaylorsSecretWife Tue 11-Feb-14 20:53:56

So I'll still get the vouchers but not contribute towards them? That would be brilliant and I may put the amount I pay into them up in that case. I do get full pay for a little while but that will just be the same income as I am on now so that's fine. It'll be the short period of half pay as that may be less than SMP so would the cost of vouchers come out of that?

MacTaylorsSecretWife Tue 11-Feb-14 21:00:25

So I'll still get the vouchers but not contribute towards them? That would be brilliant and I may put the amount I pay into them up in that case. I do get full pay for a little while but that will just be the same income as I am on now so that's fine. It'll be the short period of half pay as that may be less than SMP so would the cost of vouchers come out of that?

renlo Tue 11-Feb-14 21:04:53

Yes, your employer is not allowed to deduct the value of the vouchers from SMP so whatever you do, DON'T cancel them!

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Feb-14 21:08:52

When you go onto SMP or nil pay your employer has to carry on paying them. At my work you have to spend them straight away ie: for childcare for dc1 rather than stockpiling for dc2. I am not sure if this is the case for everyone though.

StealthPolarBear Tue 11-Feb-14 21:14:27

I cancelled o that my mat pay would be based on the higher amount and the value wouldn't be deducted

2beornot Tue 11-Feb-14 21:19:59

It also depends on how much time off you are having. For me I will only be off 7 months or so and it wouldn't drop below what my employer pays so no benefit. (Plus my mat leave would be based in lower amount).

If you are having whole year off they it's nearly always worth it.

MacTaylorsSecretWife Tue 11-Feb-14 21:24:48

I will be taking 9 months off and have 3 months or so where I will need to pay for childcare for 2. DC1 gets her funded hours in Sept but I will be goimg back to work before the summer holidays so will need to pay for her care and for DC2. If they are going to pay them while I'm off I can't work out how I would be any worse off by keeping them going, am I missing something obvious? Sorry for all the questions.

SweetPeaPods Tue 11-Feb-14 21:26:07

Sorry OP but can I ask a related question?
I will be going back to work shortly after mat leave from dc1. I would like to start Childcare vouchers. I have enquired and hr said we can sort it on my return. However I will be returning pregnant. (17wks). can they refuse me starting the Childcare vouchers as they will be paying into them when I go off on mat leave?

MacTaylorsSecretWife Tue 11-Feb-14 21:30:55

I don't think they'd be able to as surely that would be discrimination?

SweetPeaPods Wed 12-Feb-14 08:29:13

That's what I thought, but I'm sure they will find a way. I'm not keen to tell them I'm pg for as long as possible as don't want them changing the conditions before I go back.

Framboisier Wed 12-Feb-14 18:51:45

@sweetpea - the only conditions for you signing up to CCVs is having a child that is under the age limit for the scheme.
They cannot exclude anyone who wants to apply, for any reason

And trying it for pregnancy related reasons would clearly be direct discrimination

SweetPeaPods Wed 12-Feb-14 19:27:04

That's good to know thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now