Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Additional childcare vouchers

(6 Posts)
Phantomteadrinker Mon 10-Feb-14 17:42:23

I'm sure someone here will know the answer as coming up with diddly squat on google but can companies offer additional cc vouchers as benefit over the salary sacrifice limit? Basically, I'm going to ask my boss for a long overdue pay rise but was going to suggest ( as a sweetener) they give me more cc vouchers instead of cold hard cash.

Can they do this, does it benefit them/ me in anyway? Im thinking that tax and ni may be less for them and no pension contribution but I don't know if it's possible for them to buy more or whether it's worthwhile. Does anyone know? Thanks!

SydneyB Mon 10-Feb-14 17:53:04

I think there's a limit on how much you're allowed to be paid in childcare vouchers. It was about £240 per month when I first started getting them.

Phantomteadrinker Tue 11-Feb-14 08:08:44

Yeah, I think that's the max for the salary sacrifice thing, I was just wondering if employers could buy more on top of that and pay as a kind of additional benefit (bit like luncheon vouchers I suppose!) but not sure if they can...?

Mandy21 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:16:22

My employer used TEDS Premier

www.tedsgroup.co.uk/childcare-provider/teds-premier.php

I can't find the bit of the website that explains it, but I think the origins of the system were based on employers offering a work place nursery and parents paid for that via a salary sacrifice. When I used it, it extended to a list of nurseries (including the private nursery that I was using) but I was still allowed (by joining the scheme) to pay for all of the nursery fees via salary sacrifice (i.e. not just the �250 or whatever it is that you're normally limited to for the ordinary childcare voucher scheme). All of the fees were deducted from my salary at source (so �900 per month) and I didn't pay tax and NI on that.

riksti Tue 11-Feb-14 14:21:39

If you exceed £243 per month in childcare vouchers the excess is taxable on you and NIable on the employer based on this www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a-z/c/childcare.htm#x2

Mandy21 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:19:52

The TEDS scheme isnt based on the childcare voucher scheme, its a salary sacrifice scheme. I would give them a ring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now