Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need to borrow money for 12 months

(5 Posts)
antimatter Sun 09-Feb-14 15:23:32

I need to borrow 6K for dental work.
I know I can repay it within that time.
Would a credit card such as this from Halifax be the best option for me?

What do they mean by Balance must be transferred within 90 days?
Is it that I need to transfer money from that card to my other account within 90 days of opening it?

What I really need is to buy some Euros with that money as my treatment will happen in Germany. I can then pay back 600-700/month from my salary.

any suggestions welcome

thanks!

Cindy34 Sun 09-Feb-14 15:26:25

Balance transfers to my knowledge mean a balance from an existing card from a different provider.

antimatter Sun 09-Feb-14 15:30:50

I guess then this is what I need;
www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cut-loan-overdraft-costs

Cindy34 Sun 09-Feb-14 15:32:22

I think what you want is a Personal Loan, it can be repaid over various time scales. Have a look at what your own bank provides and other lenders such as using a comparison site.

The money would go to your bank account, you can then pay bills or buy euros using it - though do you have a credit card now? If so could you use that to pay the bill and use a personal loan to pay the credit card, thus leaving you to repay the personal loan.

antimatter Sun 09-Feb-14 15:40:49

I have one current credit card with 3.5K limit.
I may have another one still valid but with much lower limit.
I think you are right - I can get 12 month loan - I was under impression that Santander (my bank) offered minimum 2 years repayment loans.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now