Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need to borrow money for 12 months

(5 Posts)
antimatter Sun 09-Feb-14 15:23:32

I need to borrow 6K for dental work.
I know I can repay it within that time.
Would a credit card such as this from Halifax be the best option for me?

What do they mean by Balance must be transferred within 90 days?
Is it that I need to transfer money from that card to my other account within 90 days of opening it?

What I really need is to buy some Euros with that money as my treatment will happen in Germany. I can then pay back 600-700/month from my salary.

any suggestions welcome

thanks!

Cindy34 Sun 09-Feb-14 15:26:25

Balance transfers to my knowledge mean a balance from an existing card from a different provider.

antimatter Sun 09-Feb-14 15:30:50

I guess then this is what I need;
www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cut-loan-overdraft-costs

Cindy34 Sun 09-Feb-14 15:32:22

I think what you want is a Personal Loan, it can be repaid over various time scales. Have a look at what your own bank provides and other lenders such as using a comparison site.

The money would go to your bank account, you can then pay bills or buy euros using it - though do you have a credit card now? If so could you use that to pay the bill and use a personal loan to pay the credit card, thus leaving you to repay the personal loan.

antimatter Sun 09-Feb-14 15:40:49

I have one current credit card with 3.5K limit.
I may have another one still valid but with much lower limit.
I think you are right - I can get 12 month loan - I was under impression that Santander (my bank) offered minimum 2 years repayment loans.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: