Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

No Student Finance because Ive already done Uni once?

(10 Posts)
youbethemummylion Thu 06-Feb-14 17:01:29

So I am trying to battle through the minefield of grants/loans/bursaries to see if I can realistically afford to do a Nursing degree. However am I right in thinking because I have already done a degree (when I was 18 and had no clue what I wanted to do with my life) I now don't qualify for any help? Anyone who understands or knows a good source of information please help I'm driving myself round the twist.

LIZS Thu 06-Feb-14 17:02:50

There are Advanced Learning Loans for over 25's

Countessfosco Thu 06-Feb-14 17:03:19

Whilst I realise this may not be an option I think ( it is a while since I checked) in Wales for nursing degree there are no fees and you would get a bursary.

youbethemummylion Thu 06-Feb-14 17:08:43

Thanks for replies I'll google Advanced Learning Loans. Alas Countessfosco a move to Wales would not be possible although it is lovely there.

littleducks Thu 06-Feb-14 17:11:09

You are not entitled to another loan for a normal degree. However for a nhs bursaried course there is an exception and you can get the non means tested element if the student loan as well.

ditavonteesed Thu 06-Feb-14 17:11:56

finance is available for nursing degree as a second degree, you caouls also look into doing post graduate nursin (which I start in octover) which is a year shorter.

CoolWaterRose Thu 06-Feb-14 18:38:58

Hi, in England you can most definitely get student finance & a NHS bursary for nursing even if you already have a degree. This isn't possible with most courses but NHS funded courses are one of the few exceptions!

KateSpade Fri 07-Feb-14 09:03:10

I thought, that you could get student finance for a second degree as long as the qualifications were different, so if your first was a BA you could get it for an LLB? (If that's the right name?)

It was a couple if years ago that I was told that though..,

NeatFreak Fri 07-Feb-14 09:05:07

I did a second degree and couldn't get student finance but did get a career development loan from Barclays

Indith Fri 07-Feb-14 09:14:48

I'm on England doing midwifery. Already had a student loan from first degree but nursing etc are permitted courses so I currently have the minimum student loan plus nhs bursary. Because you get the bursary min student loan is all you get. ring student finance though. I know the muck up loans a lot but when I researched it they were very helpful giving me the exact amount I could get. nhs bursary have a fb page that is great, you can message them abs they back to you really quickly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: