Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SPREADSHEETS for : Debt Control, Budgeting, Mortgages etc

(145 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 03-Feb-14 19:52:21

The best way to get finances under control is to see what impact decisions will have.
But lots of people do not enjoy writing spreadsheets.
I do.

Credit Cards
If you pay the minimum on a credit card, it will take up to 18 years to pay off.
With a couple of really simple steps, you can clear those debts in a fraction of the time.
Input your numbers here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dHRoTXA5Qnlld25UWkw1TEhZZk9IYVE&authkey=CMjc4JEB&authkey=CMjc4JEB#gid=0

Mortgages
Lots of people have mortgages where they are only paying the interest, without fully understanding that this means they are only really renting their home, rather than paying off the loan.
Have a look at the implications here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dDN4clg5OXhLMGJWbHZhOEo4UTJINEE#gid=0

Budgeting your income and expenditure
Its easy to firefight rather than plan when life gets tight.
This spreadsheet puts spending by order of necessity so makes it easier to see where you are
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dFRwOFJENmVzX1RHR05UMGtIYkltcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

All of the spreadsheets are a general resource - feel free to download them to your own computer and make use of them.

Please do not damage the master copies - but I do check them every week or so.

If there are any spreadsheets that you would like me to write, ask and I'll see what I can do.

As a slight aside, here is the link to my Ebay Me page all about the tax side of running a small business
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

cozietoesie Fri 16-Feb-18 19:30:55

wink

TalkinPeace Fri 16-Feb-18 18:58:35

The thing is that I was up to my hairline in debt for many, many years
hence why I know how it feels for those who are just starting the journey
when you borrow a friend's student loan you have sunk low

and I did not work out this maths until I was already on the path to debt management

hence why I'm so evangelical about helping and not judging those who are just coming up for their first breath

Tax : ah yes, well that is my day job.
I value the good things that tax provides and as a public sector auditor loathe waste of taxpayers funds smile

cozietoesie Thu 15-Feb-18 17:27:19

You're a woman after my DBro's heart. (He regards paying interest - or too much tax - as virtually a crime! grin)

TalkinPeace Wed 14-Feb-18 16:18:15

Just to amuse anybody looking : The nearly £5k bill in there at the moment is mine wink
I plan to pay no interest at all smile

TalkinPeace Wed 31-Jan-18 21:40:11

Okidokes - give me a couple of days :-)

feral Wed 31-Jan-18 21:37:40

I think so 😊

TalkinPeace Wed 31-Jan-18 20:44:46

Hi @feral
Just as a starting point .... my new diddy budget sheet (linked in the OP)
you sort of want a version of that which works on a monthly basis
but upside down so tells you whether you can afford a takeaway this week ....

feral Wed 31-Jan-18 20:01:45

And thank you for considering 😉

feral Wed 31-Jan-18 19:58:05

@TalkinPeace
I hope this makes sense!

I'm saving towards several things e.g. a holiday that needs to be paid in July, Christmas, car deposit or whatever.

Need something that divs up the target my by the amount of time to save for it, multiple things that gives me a total of how much I need to put into my savings account each month but also has a running total for each pot.

I currently do this using this: https://squirrel.me
But I want to keep all the money in accounts I can see and manage it myself!

Also possibly open ended savings pot.

So then I would know that if I've got £2k in my savings how much is allocated to what.

My spreadsheet skills are not up to it smile

TalkinPeace Wed 31-Jan-18 19:44:37

@feral
Not yet .....
What sort of things would you like it to be able to do and I'll get writing as that is a really good idea smile

feral Wed 31-Jan-18 18:34:06

Hello.
Is there a spreadsheet around that enables the user to set up savings pots ?

HopelesslyHopeful87 Wed 31-Jan-18 16:18:54

Huge thanks for the spreadsheet. Downloaded and filled in for our household bills. It's really helped see where we are wasting money. I am going to be so anal about filling it in 😁

TalkinPeace Mon 29-Jan-18 22:59:39

Broken formulae on Card sheet mended again.
Extra level of cell protection added

TalkinPeace Mon 29-Jan-18 20:56:42

HTH :
I love writing them - I have to for work so I find them easy.
If you think of something where I wish there was a spreadsheet for that
do ask smile

PerfectlyDone Mon 29-Jan-18 20:52:27

Thanks for your very quick reply, TalkinPeace.

I am actually quite good with money, but my STBXH is not, so I am coming across unpleasant revelations and I am mad-keen to cut my cloth rather than keep up with his previous stoopid spending.
What I really HATE are spreadsheets grin, so I would have never come up with something like this, really really useful, so thank you from the bottom of my heart wine

TalkinPeace Mon 29-Jan-18 20:32:19

Perfectly
The numbers were there to test the formulae and to give an idea.
Once you have your own copy of the sheet on your own machine you may do whatever you like to it.

I hope it helps you clear your head about how your finances will be over the coming years.

PerfectlyDone Mon 29-Jan-18 20:19:59

TalkinPeace, thank you so much for this.

I am just starting to try and log everything I spend because I suddenly and expectedly am finding myself looking down the barrel of a divorce.

The numbers currently in the budgeting spreadsheet, are they for demonstration purposes or are somebody's figures? Can I delete them once I have downloaded the spreadsheet on to my laptop?

thanks

TalkinPeace Sun 28-Jan-18 17:02:44

Thanks cozie
I think the new one is actually better for planning
and it tallies with issues I've dealt with for tax clients

cozietoesie Sun 28-Jan-18 15:42:41

Well done, Talkin. smile

TalkinPeace Sun 28-Jan-18 15:15:50

Right, I've made a new budget sheet - linked to a new one I wrote for a client.
Hope its useful.

TalkinPeace Sun 28-Jan-18 14:05:40

Okidoke,
The card sheet took a bit of a pasting just now because people are using it which is great ......

To get your own one of the sheet .....
"File"
"Download as"
TAkes it to your own computer

TalkinPeace Fri 26-Jan-18 15:03:40

I have mended the Credit Card and Mortgage sheets

PLEASE do not trash them
If you want to make major changes, download to your own computer and play there
DO NOT wreck the main ones

The budget sheet has been utterly destroyed so I'll have to find my original and re write it.

TalkinPeace Tue 23-Jan-18 22:39:23

grin

ShoopShoop Tue 23-Jan-18 22:33:50

Thanks Laska

Laska5772 Tue 23-Jan-18 21:36:34

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now