Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt Relief Order

(3 Posts)
Nattie87 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:12:19

Hi all, I need some advice ....

I'm considering on taking a DRO out (DebtRelifOrder) I have debts that are less than £15,000 & have no assets, no car etc. I got into debt trouble when I was young & stupid. But now I have to young daughters & have grown up a lot. I'm a single mum on benefits & just can't afford to pay the monthly instalments, hence why I'm considering taking a DRO out.
There's only 1 thing that's stopping me & that's whether taking this DRO out will prevent me & my 2 daughters from moving abroad to the USA in about 5yrs .... My family live out there & want me to move there now, but I don't want to leave debts over here in the UK.
So can anyone give me any advice on this please
TIA

guinnessgirl Wed 05-Feb-14 09:20:00

Hi Nattie. I work for a debt charity and we do lots of DROs. I would advise you to seek independent, free advice about this - it's the only way to know for sure one way or another and you need a qualified intermediary to be sure you're getting the right information. Try contacting CAB, Christians Against Poverty or Stepchange - all offer free advice and you will never be advised to actually enter into a DRO unless it's the right thing for you. Hope that helps x

guinnessgirl Wed 05-Feb-14 09:20:05

Hi Nattie. I work for a debt charity and we do lots of DROs. I would advise you to seek independent, free advice about this - it's the only way to know for sure one way or another and you need a qualified intermediary to be sure you're getting the right information. Try contacting CAB, Christians Against Poverty or Stepchange - all offer free advice and you will never be advised to actually enter into a DRO unless it's the right thing for you. Hope that helps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now