Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help claiming I/s newly single with 3 children

(6 Posts)
mummymummy123 Thu 23-Jan-14 11:48:13

claiming I/s & hb changing tc after break up HELP
My now ex and I had been talking about splitting up and now it's actually happening �� he's found a place to move into but can't until the end of feb.

idk what to do I'm off work on ssp (after a accident) & considering not going bk a few ppl have told me to claim income support as I have 3 children. (1 under 5) my 'plan' is to hand in my notice and claim I/s

how do I claim this and when?! do i do it before he goes as ive read it takes a while or after?

also the form asks how much tax credits i get but this will change so how can i tell them the correct amount?!

do I do it now or do I have to wait til he's gone? sorry for the long post but I've never been in this situation before

RonaldMcDonald Thu 23-Jan-14 14:07:04

Maybe speaking to the cab would be helpful?
Why would you give up your job? I don't understand?
I think the cab will be able to tell you accurately when you can claim. I don't know how benefits are affected if you give up work.

Babyroobs Thu 23-Jan-14 14:44:11

I think you can apply for IS at the job centre or maybe even online I think. Then just ring tax credits. I too would be wary of giving up a job, once you're youngest turns 5 you will be awitched to Jobseekers. If you carry on in your job you will hopefully get maximum help with childcare costs.

mummymummy123 Thu 23-Jan-14 16:14:26

I have 3 children and won't be able to cope mentally with it all I don't want to give up work entirely I want to work part time but my current employer won't let me (I am not entitled to it) I wanted to claim while I sort myself out do some courses then when my youngest starts school I can go back to work

I want to point out that I have worked full time since I was 16 and my eldest two were in nursery full time etc I just can't handle it all at the moment

RonaldMcDonald Thu 23-Jan-14 19:59:52

I have no idea what you mean, how do you mean that you will be unable to cope mentally when he leaves?
Do you mean you will be unable to cope with the children when he leaves?
That you feel you are having a breakdown?

Or do you mean that you will be unable to cope with working f/t whilst having sole care of three children?
Perhaps you should have a word with your GP?

Other than that I think that if your partner is living with you until the end of Feb that you cannot claim until the point where he moves out.
Surely he is still paying to live with you until Feb so it won't matter, will it? Also is IS any ££ more than SSP?

Penguinttc Thu 06-Feb-14 15:33:08

Tell the job centre you are not available to work as your child is under 5. This will get you on to income support.
You can't adjust or make any claims until he has left, your claims will take awhile but you have to wait it out and then you will be back dated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: