Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Support taking Child Tax Credits

(9 Posts)
JCALLAGHAN Mon 20-Jan-14 12:49:14

My partner has 2 previous children, 16 and 18..... both go to a part time school which is for 4 mornings a week and they both get paid £5.00 each, each day they day - but they only go 2 days!

In addition to this they both work, the mother works - salaried and cash in hand, and her partner also works.

Me and my partner have three small children 6, 3 and 3 (twins) and i also have a 16 yr old.

I work 20 hrs a week and and my partner is a stay at home dad as he lost his job in June last year due to our drs error!

The CSA have now contacted my partner (we're not married) and have demanded my claim for tax credits which i get for my children.....

The rude and arangant lady from the CSA told me they will disregard the first 25% and then take 20% of the remainder of the child tax credits. So basically they are taking my childrens money to pay his children!!

Personally this is all wrong and its now pushed us over the edge and put a lot of pressure on us.

I have a mortage and bills which are all mine, the house is mine, everthing is mine and i work to pay for it all. I cannot afford to pay something along the lines of £150 per month for someone elses children and it seems the only way i can manage this is to tell me partner to leave..... surely the CSA arent able to split up a happy family just to pay another family that is totally taking the p..... it's all vert upsetting especially as Im awaiting an operation in the next 12 weeks and wont be getting full salary form work as the recovery will be upto 6 weeks off work.....

What can i do??

Rockchick1984 Mon 20-Jan-14 15:01:53

The tax credits you are receiving are not just for YOUR children though, as they are his children too, so I don't understand your attitude about that.

Why are you only working 20 hours between 2 of you, surely if your DP is a SAHD you could look to increase your hours, or he could try to find a job?

He has had children in a previous relationship, he has a duty to provide for them. I'm sure your attitude would change if you and him split up!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 20-Jan-14 15:03:14

If you are only working 20 hours between you, you won't qualify for Working Tax Credits. Has your Child Tax Credit award been revised given that your household income has gone down?

Could your partner talk to his ex, explain that he is out of work, and ask her to accept less money?

NigellasDealer Mon 20-Jan-14 15:03:44

you should have thought of this before you married a man with 'baggage' (as it is so charmingly termed)

RedHelenB Mon 20-Jan-14 17:58:29

Stand it on it's head - your children are benefitting from your husband being a stay at home dad.

RedHelenB Mon 20-Jan-14 17:59:40

which means he isn't financially supporting his other children.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 20-Jan-14 22:05:03

It isnt another family is it though, its his family. You work 20 hours and he doesnt work at all yet have six children to support between you. Instead of blaming others, focus on you both finding full time work.

SoonToBeSix Wed 22-Jan-14 05:39:48

Your dp shouldn't have had more children if he couldn't support the children he already had.
The tax credits money is simply being distributed between all his children ( and yours get a much higher percentage) I don't see how that is unfair.

SuperScrimper Wed 22-Jan-14 09:54:32

2 'previous' children sad wow, I actually pray that DH and I never divorce and he gets together with someone who sees our children as his 'previous' children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now