Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help to pay for carers

(23 Posts)
busybusy10 Sun 05-Jan-14 16:08:59


Not sure if this is the right place to post but just wanted to ask where I can go to get advice for paying for carers. My dad is now home from hospital after having a stroke and needs carers 4 times a day. He has been told he cannot claim anything to help pay towards the costs except for possibly attendance allowance.

His first bill has come in at £1,600 for 3 weeks which we nearly passed out at. I understand he needs the care but we have been told he may be able to have 1 carer paid for (he needs 2 at a time) but where could I go to find this out?

Many thanks


PharaohQueen Sun 05-Jan-14 16:11:26

Who organised this for him?

What are his assets?

What do you think of a nursing home?

busybusy10 Sun 05-Jan-14 16:15:41

Hi PharaohQueen

The care was organised for him by the hospital before he left and his assets are over the limit of £23,500.

We are thinking of a nursing home as its a terrible strain on my mum but will this not cost just as much if not more? I also feel he would be better at home but that could be my irrational fear of care homes!

Thanks for replying


PharaohQueen Sun 05-Jan-14 16:18:29

Personally I would leave him at home as you have your DM to make sure he is not being abused or neglected in any way. There are some great carers out there, as with all positions of authority over the vulnerable, it attracts those who take advantage.

Do you know anyone locally who knows of a good care home?

Regarding costs, if those are the rules they are the rules.

PharaohQueen Sun 05-Jan-14 16:19:31

You can also as a family organise your own care, you don't have to use the people the hospital organised. They will have been box ticking. You can yourself or organise and pay for someone else to take over.

higgle Sun 05-Jan-14 16:21:51

The value of your parents house will not be taken into consideration, so they must have savings over £23,500 to be required to pay. Once their savings come down below £23,500 they will get some financial help. Most people who come out of hospital improve over teh following 56 weeks and need less help, but if your father's condition is very serious he may be able to get Continuing health Care ( part of NHS) funding. I'd start by speaking to Age UK - I work as a care manager yself but when my mother - who lives in a different county - becan to need help they thought of ideas I didn't even know about.

busybusy10 Sun 05-Jan-14 16:26:36

Many thanks for your replies. This is now his 5th stroke and a serious one so he will not be getting any better. He does have savings over £23,500. I will give Age UK a call and see if they can suggest anything.

Thanks again


whattoWHO Sun 05-Jan-14 16:28:58

Good advice to call Age UK.
Also, maybe try Carers UK?

CocktailQueen Sun 05-Jan-14 16:31:51

Your can't apply for attendance allowance till someone has needed care for six months.

Age uk is a good place to start. Or call your local social services office? They should know about it her benefits.

Mil's carers charge £15 per hour, in London - yours sound expensive? Do some research and change carers if you like.

Good luck, and I hope your dad improves.

BettyBotter Sun 05-Jan-14 16:40:45

Do you work? Is your mum working age? Becuase if your df gets Attendance Allowance then someone - perhaps you or your mum - could claim Carers Allowance.

You need to be caring for 35+ hours a week but that doesn't mean you actually need to be living with them or hands on lifting, dressing, feeding etc. If your mum's not getting a pension or other income she might be eligible.

chickydoo Sun 05-Jan-14 16:42:46

I hope your Dad gets a bit better soon.
We were in a similar situation, but as DM needed social care ( feeding, catheter changing, pads changing, washing, moving.. She was paralysed) rather than nursing care, ( medication, breathing probs etc) we were only entitled to £100 a week help, my parents had over 23k in savings so we were told we had to fund all her care (- the £100) and eventually all her nursing home fees.
I wish you lots of luck, sometimes it depends on which health authority you come under. I really hope you get some help, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

busybusy10 Sun 05-Jan-14 17:10:17

Hi all

We have been told mum cannot claim carers allowance as it is means tested and they have savings over the threshold.

I do work part time but mum doesn't work which is good as she can be at home all the time.

Currently waiting to see if they can get the attendance allowance as its the only one that's not means tested.

We do feel its a bit unfair as mum and dad have worked all their lives and done the right thing by saving and then to be told they would have been better of not working and claiming benefits as they would get everything free is hard to take.

Thanks again for your replies and kind words.


PharaohQueen Sun 05-Jan-14 17:14:35

I know it is hard when they see their savings go so quickly. Can you reframe this to think this is the rainy day they have been saving for? They have the money, choices and control, they are just not aware of what they can have, it is like you are in a local spa doing your weekly shop buying the same thing because the next door neighbour told you to shop htere, when you have the choice of any supermarket and product you like.

5HundredUsernamesLater Sun 05-Jan-14 17:24:27

Would he be eligible for NHS funded continuing care? I'm not sure if it is means tested for adults as my experience of it is just with children but might be worth looking into or someone else on here might know more about it.

BettyBotter Sun 05-Jan-14 18:10:17

Busy I'd double check the info about Carers Allowance if I was you. Cares Allowance is not means tested. More info here.


BettyBotter Sun 05-Jan-14 18:11:36


BettyBotter Sun 05-Jan-14 18:13:34

Oh for crying out loud blush

busybusy10 Sun 05-Jan-14 19:40:42

Oh BettyBotter you have made me laugh out loud! Many thanks, I have now found that it might not be means tested so will look into that again tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help


higgle Mon 06-Jan-14 06:58:27

Please don't select your carers on the basis of price alone. If your father is fragile and has two care assistants he needs a pretty skilled team as they will be using equipment (hoist or stedy?) and keeping his skin in good condition is really important. In my area (South West) there are currently some care providers sending out staff who are not properly trained with disasterous results for the people they are caring for.

busybusy10 Mon 06-Jan-14 13:13:30

Hi Higgle

You are right. I have considered looking at different care companies but the ones he is currently using have been amazing and we cannot fault them. We would rather maybe drop a visit than chaare nge them as they so good and my fear is exactly what you have said, unqualified people who don't caresad


dogeral Tue 14-Jan-14 17:59:53

I do believe that it also depends how independent he is, and how your lives are going. If he needs help in everything he does, carers are needed, I am proud of you for wanting to look after him, good for you...
Has life expectancy been mentioned and if so, how long? if sadly they say not long then another force comes into play, called End of life care.
this obligates the area you live in to help you.

Alipally1 Tue 14-Jan-14 18:15:14

CocktailQueen is right in that attendance allowance is not paid until someone has needed care for six months. However, when you go through the form it will probably surprise you how long your father has been eligible for attendance allowance if he has had previous strokes. You can make a case for claiming it immediately if you can show he has been eligible for over 6 months - I did this for a relative in a similar position, and it was granted immediately. And yes, get all the advice you need to fill in the form - AgeUK are very good or sometimes local GP surgeries run advice sessions.

I understand about paying for carers but it is such a valuable service and a very reasonable cost once your parents are below the savings threshold. We have used 2 different companies and the carers have all been excellent. Do shop around, although I sympathise that it takes so much of your time. As a carer for my relative, I've wished so many times I could have been prepared for the situation we find ourselves in. It's impossible to plan for everything but some research now into care homes might save some heartache later. If one is needed, then you'll know that you, your father and your mother are satisfied about the one chosen.

Also, (check this out first though) can your parents use some of their savings now to pay for things they know they need, or will need, to make life easier/more comfortable? If you keep the receipts, and can justify why their savings have changed, local authorities are usually as reasonable as they are allowed to be.

CoopedUp Thu 16-Jan-14 08:12:26

You could try to get an Occupational Therapist to review the manual handling techniques with you and your Mum & Dad, to make sure there aren't other quicker ways of turning, rolling, standing / toilet ing assuming he can still weight bear. This might prove the need for a single support worker at some or part of the visits you have. Hospital workers tend to plan for the worst case and hope for the best. You might find things settle down over the first six weeks at home and you can drop a visit. However don't compromise on skin integrity just to save cash. It's not worth the guilt trip. There are financial advisors where I send my self funders, to help pay for long term care. Home is by far the better value for the money you are spending on care. A nursing home could cost you £1600 a week. Well done for your commitment to your family , and keep going

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now