Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

advice needed

(85 Posts)
mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:46:21

hi first post on here
so sick of having no money i work and still i have nothing after rent .bills,debts and things son needs i never have enough left to last until payday .so sick of it
atm i have no food in the house well i have afew bits for my son feel so bad because xmas was a wash out couldnt afford much still had fun but feel bad now im worried i only get paid on the 10th and ive no bread,milk and things like that need more toiletries im in a mess and dont no where to turn has any one anyideas .i want to avoid going to social services bad experience wth them when i was younger sad .i no theres food banks but ive been told there for unemployed people plus i feel embarrased seems mad as im posting on here but id feel embarrassed saying this face to face
i have asked freinds for help but everyones the same because of xmas im worried about food and things feel like everythings closing in .
ive just been disgnosed with depression so dont think thats helping but dont no what to do anymore i try to budget it doesnt help .how does everyone else manage xx

Clargo55 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:55:01

Can you get an advance on your wages? Think your GP can give you vouchers for a food bank.

Sometimes certain councils do things like a crisis loan, you could maybe call and see if you are entitled?
Some churches do food bank systems I'm sure they would help you.

Keep your head up, things will be ok.

LIZS Wed 01-Jan-14 20:01:26

How old is your son? HV can refer to food bank but that will probably be a limited number of visits. CAB could check you are claiming everything your are entitled to , even if working, and help you budget and pay off debt.

HermioneWeasley Wed 01-Jan-14 20:04:53

Can you do overtime, take a second job, sell stuff on eBay/Facebook?

mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:07:31

hi not sure on wage advance ive never asked but someone i work with asked for an advance and got turned down so not sure if they would im of until the 7th anyway had to take holidays as my son is of school

he is 6 i just feel embarassed asking for help feel like a failure as a mum
i no im not but its getting me down im sure something will come up ive nothing decent even to sell but im gunna have a proper look see if theres anything.
im going to try make an appointment with cab once its back open see if they canhelp my main problem is getting my debtors to accept lower payments as i said ill be fine on the 10th i will have money this is the worst its been with xmas etc

TheNightIsDark Wed 01-Jan-14 20:10:10

Go to CAB. They can negotiate payments down to £1 a month. Once you're back on your feet you can up them again.

Is it just you and your DS? Look on the recipe board for cheap meals you can freeze. Freeze bread in sandwich bags of 2 slices. Take it out for lunches but saves half a loaf going off.
Value cornflakes aren't that bad, value beans are ok, farm foods if you have one is handy for stocking a freezer. It's not the healthiest but no one will go hungry.

mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:11:31

ive asked for more hours once son is back at school and my boss said there will be some for me starting february my hours are going up anyway from 22 to 32 so thats better im sure it will be ok just needed to get it out felt like i was going mad just thinking about it all the time ,
at the moment no i cant as my son is 6 so i need my job to fit in around school time i dont have any one to mind him for me .
and the selling i dont have much but im going to have a look round the house today as i said its only until the 10 th if my debtors are open tommorowim goin to ring and tell them when i next get paid and my payments due i cant afford the repayments thinking about debt management x

mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:13:02

yes just me and my little boy

TheNightIsDark Wed 01-Jan-14 20:13:02

What about child benefit/ tax creds? If they're due soon then make a list of everything you need and stick to it. Easier said than done I know! Anything left over stick in a pot for transport, top up milk shop, unexpected bill. It's not much use straight away but if you can fight the urge to spend any leftover then you have a small fall back if it happens again.

Poundland is good for toiletries if there's one local?

mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:16:35

im just about to right a list of everything coming in and going out and do a budget
i get child benefit and get my tax credits monthly tax credits due the 13th i get working and child tax then
child benefit that went in on monday 20.30p i got more elec and gas and paid my tv licence £5,60
ive started saving coppers just counted that there 2,34 so enough for bread and maybe a small milk .
anything else i need will have to wait i definately need to start saving up and shopping more frugally thanks for the advice thinks dont seem as bad now i just got really upset felt like a failure

PortofinoRevisited Wed 01-Jan-14 20:21:11

There is nothing embarrassing about the food bank. Can you see if you can get a HV/GP referral tomorrow?

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Wed 01-Jan-14 20:22:40

Hi there.

I just wanted to assure you that you don't need to have a job to fit around school time at all. Providing you work over 16 hours, you will get a lot of financial help from Tax Credits to pay towards a registered childcare setting. My daughter is 5 and attends after school club until 6pm 4 times a week, and 4 full days during the holidays.

So please do look in to increasing your hours or getting a second job.

Have you done a check to make sure you are getting what you are entitled to financially? CSA (as you don't mention a partner?), Child benefit, housing benefit, Tax Credits etc?

You can ask virtually anyone 'official' to refer you to the council for a food bank parcel. So this could be a social worker, school nurse, teacher, Gp, HV etc. But please don't let embarrassment get in the way of you receiving some food. Trust me, they won't even bat an eyelid. They will want to help you out.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Wed 01-Jan-14 20:24:54

If you're comfortable doing so, perhaps you could list your income and outgoings? It's so easy to overlook things that can be cut out or reduced. e.g. i was paying almost £40 a month for my old sim contract. It's now £7.50 a month.

Where is most of your money going each month? Is your rent really high, or is it the debts?

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Wed 01-Jan-14 20:26:39

Hi, I've just seen you get Working Tax Credits, which means you work over 16 hours already.

In that case, you will be entitled to more Working Tax Credits to pay for the majority of your son's childcare costs, so please do ask about increasing your hours or looking for a 2nd job.

mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:58:16

wages £750 per month
child working tax £550 per month child ben £20 per week

rent is 490 per month but im in the middle of seeing if i can claim housing ben
council tax is £97 per month plus £20 extra of my arrears
school dinners is £42 per month
mobile phone top up £10 so i get my text allowance
home phone and broadband is £22 per month

tv licence is just over £20 per month
gas and electricity £80 per month split over the 2 im on prepayment
food £200 per month
the rest goes on debts and sometimes i have to go in to food money to pay them as the debtors are being awkward and wont accept less been googling and think i may contact a debt management line see if they can help

i didnt no i would get help i will look into that thank you
my son will be staying behind an extra hour twice a week for school at an after school club so could work late them days im sure there is a way to sort this my head was just in a tizz its more so the worry that i havent got enough food in to get us through until then as i had to pay extra on my tv licence due to missing so i could get son a few pressies silly i no but i felt bad im ringing the cab tommorow as think they will be open
and im going to try and bring myself to ask for help its hard face to face well for me it is thank you everyone im sure i will get sorted

mumof01 Wed 01-Jan-14 21:00:18

sorry ive miscalculated my working and child tax isnt that much its £50 per week child tax so thats £200 per month
and the working tax i get £40 per week which is £240 a month but i have this paid monthly so £440 a month maybe i should change that to weekly it would help i think x

Rockchick1984 Wed 01-Jan-14 22:57:09

Contact stepchange - they will help you negotiate lower debt payments or even ways to have debts written off. They don't charge you for their help unlike the IVA companies you see advertised.

Good luck with it, its scary trying to deal with it but ultimately so much better to get sorted.

mumof01 Thu 02-Jan-14 00:08:53

thankyou will google them in the morning is that like debt management
i no i need to deal with it now im fighting a losing battle doing it on my own going to see if i can sell a few bits to get through the next week
thanks everyone x

HelloBoys Thu 02-Jan-14 00:12:18

Didn't want to not comment but yes claim all you're entitled to (HB and more). Can you (after debts sorted) save money for emergencies? Even stockpile cans of food? For emergencies.

I'm not in your position as I work but I do stockpile pasta sheets, lentils and other beans (kidney, chickpea etc) and also tins of tomatoes. Same with cleaning products etc. and long life milk. Means I have a stash of 'emergency' stuff should i run out of money or can't get out.

I'd do food bank and great re extra hours.

Good luck

mumof01 Thu 02-Jan-14 00:23:36

i hoping i get some help with rent unsure as to how it works its only recently i learned i could stilll be eleigible so worth a shot .
at the moment every spare penny goes on my debt and more besides what happened was my ex left me in a lot of debt and now im paying the price
i am however once i get paid going to do an emergency box but hopefully if i get in touch with cab and a debt plan i should be ok


HermioneWeasley Thu 02-Jan-14 09:14:13

Packed lunches would be cheaper than school dinners and allow you to have some emergency savings

RedHelenB Thu 02-Jan-14 09:15:03

If you work over 30 hours i think you get more in the way of tax credits. Is that the cheapest place you can rent?

Stepchange are very good. They are a charity so don't charge like some other debt management companies.

Also try ringing your creditors and tell them you are struggling and in contact with Stepchange. I think as long as you make a payment, which can be less than the minimum, you should be ok until Stepchange take over.

Would your son be entitled to free school meals?

FlouncyMcFlouncer Thu 02-Jan-14 09:46:56

Only a small thing but if you have a Farmfoods nearby, you can get a loaf of bread and four pinter of milk for £1.60. They do '"2 for £1.60" on bread and milk and you can mix 'n' match them.

specialsubject Thu 02-Jan-14 10:34:03

TV licence is £12 a month, not £20. You pay £24 for the first six months so you get ahead (That's capita for you...)

you can cut back on that mobile. As you have a landline and broadband (does that price include line rental?) you need a mobile only for quick calls and contactability. Go on to a supermarket tariff and £10 should last four months. NEVER chat on a mobile if you made the call and don't chat by text.

can't see any insurance on this? You need tenants contents insurance. It is only a few pounds a month.

get some help with the debts and it will get better.

good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now