Talk

Advanced search

How long to sell your house?

(29 Posts)
CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 21:37:28

My house is on the market (ok its only been two weeks)but I am desperate to sell.

How long did it take you? Any tips?

Earlybird Sun 23-Jul-06 21:50:30

What does your estate agent advise? How quickly do comparable houses in your area sell?

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 21:54:11

He said average 12 weeks but he said last week when I asked him to push our house (we have seen the one we want ,that "he cant force people to view it"

Its on at a good price and has been done out throughout so technically should not be a problem!

Earlybird Sun 23-Jul-06 21:59:17

Do you live in an area where people tend to disappear on holiday in July/August? If so, that could unfortunately, work against you as there may not be as many people around in house hunting mode.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 22:06:20

Estate agent said that too, kids six weeks hols can be written off

hunkermunker Sun 23-Jul-06 22:11:13

Blardy farking ages. Nov-March the first time we bought anything and Apr-Oct when we sold and bought this place.

That's not what you want to hear though, so I'll say that everyone else I know has taken about 8 weeks.

cece Sun 23-Jul-06 22:14:36

Wee put our house on end of March last year. Got offer beginning of July and completed 10th Oct. It dragged on and on...

BoilingHotFrayedKnot Sun 23-Jul-06 22:26:25

Could you have an "Open Day" if you are desperate?

We sold ours in a week (i.e. got an offer & accepted it).

The Estate Agent did it all, we were away for the weekend and came back and he'd sold it.

He came on a recommendation and was totally unlike any otehr estate agent I've ever met.

He was running a new franchise though so he had to sell houses otherwise his family starved I suppose.

megandsoph Sun 23-Jul-06 22:27:02

Litrally (sp?) just sold mine yesterday. The house was in awful condition and I thought it would be on the market forever. I had it valued 2 saturdays ago. I haven't got any tips really as mine was a riot. how many valuations did u have?

Rubineski Sun 23-Jul-06 22:28:21

I'm afraid I went full term! Nine months from start to finish.

MaloryTowers Sun 23-Jul-06 22:33:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

teacakes Sun 23-Jul-06 22:51:08

We were in SE Ldn, got an offer on the second veiwing we accepted then there finances fell through. Back on the market and got another offer within a week.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 23:12:59

MT that sounds like perfection

We had one valuation as our prefered agent came first and said the right things so we cancelled other two.....Had one view and she loved house but did not like row of shops over the green.

Just the house we saw at weekend is so perfect for us but i know it will go quick.

Its going to be that house that you always find yourself walking past..

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 23:13:01

MT that sounds like perfection

We had one valuation as our prefered agent came first and said the right things so we cancelled other two.....Had one view and she loved house but did not like row of shops over the green.

Just the house we saw at weekend is so perfect for us but i know it will go quick.

Its going to be that house that you always find yourself walking past..

Chandra Sun 23-Jul-06 23:19:38

Our first house was put on the market on a Thursday morning, seen in the afternoon and offer received the same day, offer fell through 2 days later and got a new offer on Monday, sold within 2 weeks. (That was in Spain where the process is as fast as the buyers in getting a mortgage)

Second house was also sold to first viewers, however it took about 6 weeks or so to get someone to view it, there had been some flooding a year before in the area (not in our street) and we didn't get any interest during the rainy period.

MrsSpoon Sun 23-Jul-06 23:20:53

First time 5 weeks (just prior to Christmas so not the best time to sell), second time put the place on the market in August and had an offer within five hours of it officially being on the market but turned it down and got the offer we accepted about a week after it going on the market.

It can happen quickly. First time round for us the market wasn't great, second time round the market was really mad. Only thing I would say is that both times the properties were immaculate. If there are any little jobs needing done, do them it will help.

Hope you get it sold quick enough to get the house you are after.

Chandra Sun 23-Jul-06 23:24:39

I would put an offer on the house subject to finding a buyer, they may accept or reject it but you don't loose anything by trying (no need to start searches or anything but just express an interest on it). The people who bought our second house came with an offer that we rejected but rang them back some days later when we found the house we liked and decided that we would rather lower the price by £2000 than risking loosing the house we liked, and it worked. Chain was horrendously long and took quite a while but we all, I expect, ended with the house we liked so... worth a try.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 23:33:27

<A HREF="http://www.hopkins-henstock.co.uk/details7dyat.htm">LINK</A>

Heres my crib!What do you think?

Have put offer in on dream house and they accepted and took house off for two weeks giving us chance to sell..one week left

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 23:34:07

Never did get hang of that link thing

Chandra Sun 23-Jul-06 23:39:49

Don't worry CP, they would keep you in mind even if the property is back in the market. I don't know if this will make you feel better but it's is more likely for you to sell the house fast than for them to do the same. Your house looks beautiful and has a very good price affordable to more people than the property you are trying to buy, I'm sure it will be snapped from the market soon

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 23:41:46

Thanks Chandra

Thatts really cheered me up, felt gloomy all day

MrsSpoon Sun 23-Jul-06 23:49:24

CP, your place looks immaculate, I'm sure it will be sold in no time.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 23-Jul-06 23:54:13

I think IF I get the viewers then it will sell but its getting the buggers through the door

notasheep Sun 23-Jul-06 23:54:19

2 weeks on first viewing
Dont think summer is the best time-good luck

Mirage Mon 24-Jul-06 09:45:32

sold ours on the first day it went on the market last year.It was Easter week,so was surprised.
good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »